Oregon 450 does not "see" all files on SD card

NoFe2O3

Hi All,

I've been trying to download some maps from MapSource onto my Oregon 450, with a 4 GB SD card to carry the files. I have been re-naming them from the default filename as I go. But every time I put the SD card back into the Oregon, it only "sees" two or three of the files. Even more frustrating is the fact that it is inconsistent - sometimes it sees three files; other times it only see two. I can't figure out a pattern to what it sees and doesn't see.

Help, please - I'm going crazy!!

Need much more information. To start,

1) How many total map segments are loaded internally & externally?

2) What did you rename the map files to?

3) Are the map files in the garmin folder?

4) Is your MicroSD installed correctly with the holder LOCKED in place?

5) What version software is loaded on your GPS?

6) How many GPX files are loaded on the GPS?

1) I'm not sure how to get that number. Sorry - sort of a newbie here..

2) "Western US.img", etc

3) Yes

4) Yes

5) At the top, it says "Software version 5.20", but a couple of lines further down it says "GPS Software version 5.00".

6) About 20

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by NoFe2O3

Back to the first question. What do you mean by seeing? Are you not seeing them on the screen or not seeing them in the map set up select maps?

Unless a map is a transparent overlay, you can only see one map at a time. Some maps cover other maps. For example if you have City Navigator and a topo map loaded, CityNavigator covers the topo map, To see the topo map, you have to go to set up maps, select maps and turn off City Navigator.

Back to the first question. What do you mean by seeing? Are you not seeing them on the screen or not seeing them in the map set up select maps?

Unless a map is a transparent overlay, you can only see one map at a time. Some maps cover other maps. For example if you have City Navigator and a topo map loaded, CityNavigator covers the topo map, To see the topo map, you have to go to set up maps, select maps and turn off City Navigator.

I'm not seeing them in the listing of available maps.

1) I'm not sure how to get that number. Sorry 0 sort of a newbie here..

When you compile the maps, MapSource displays how many Map segments you’ve selected up in the Map tab (example “Map (244)”). You are limited to about 4000 map segments. If you have more than 4000 map segments active on your GPS not all segments will display.

2) "Western US.img", etc

I expected more than 1 file name since you mentioned at least 3 map files show. The purpose of this question was to see how many map files you have loaded and for me to duplicate the file names on my GPS to confirm if they work. I tried changing one of my map files on my Oregon 550 to “Western US.img” and it loaded properly so no problem with that name. The best thing would be to put your map files in another GPS to see if it’s the map files, memory card or GPS. This brings you another question. Is your microSD card formatted to FAT32?

3) Yes

Good. The IMG files must be in a Garmin folder for the GPS to find them and load them.

4) Yes

Are you sure? I have run into many people that have never seen the “Locked” and the “Open” arrows on the metal memory card retainer cover and therefore simply flip the retainer down and never slide the retainer to lock the memory in place. The memory can bounce around causing connection problems.

5) At the top, it says "Software version 5.20", but a couple of lines further down it says "GPS Software version 5.00".

Your software is current so we can eliminate that possibility.

6) About 20

The limit is 200 gpx files so we can eliminate that restriction.

1) I'm not sure how to get that number. Sorry 0 sort of a newbie here..

When you compile the maps, MapSource displays how many Map segments you’ve selected up in the Map tab (example “Map (244)”). You are limited to about 4000 map segments. If you have more than 4000 map segments active on your GPS not all segments will display.

2) "Western US.img", etc

I expected more than 1 file name since you mentioned at least 3 map files show. The purpose of this question was to see how many map files you have loaded and for me to duplicate the file names on my GPS to confirm if they work. I tried changing one of my map files on my Oregon 550 to “Western US.img” and it loaded properly so no problem with that name. The best thing would be to put your map files in another GPS to see if it’s the map files, memory card or GPS. This brings you another question. Is your microSD card formatted to FAT32?

3) Yes

Good. The IMG files must be in a Garmin folder for the GPS to find them and load them.

4) Yes

Are you sure? I have run into many people that have never seen the “Locked” and the “Open” arrows on the metal memory card retainer cover and therefore simply flip the retainer down and never slide the retainer to lock the memory in place. The memory can bounce around causing connection problems.

Your software is current so we can eliminate that possibility.

6) About 20

The limit is 200 gpx files so we can eliminate that restriction.

I think I know what's happening (or what I did to myself...). I didn't know about the 4K segment limit (hell, I didn't even know what a "segment" was until today). I was trying to put all of the US (including AK & HI) into my GPS, but that's about 6K segments/tiles (they are the same, right???). So I managed to doodle meself.

Thanks to all for your patience with yet another Christmas-present newbie. ...and yes, I did try to scour the forums before I posted - but as I mentioned, I had never heard of "segments" until today.

I have more than 4000 map segments on my memory but keep less than 4000 active. I made an Unused Maps folder in my Garmin Folder to keep maps for countries I normally travel to. Then when I go somewhere I just pull the map file for that country out and put it in the Garmin folder. Its faster than loading the map from computer to memory.

Edited by Cacheoholic

Sounds like you are using Garmin's 100K topo maps. Go to gpsfiledepot.com and get much better maps. About the only time you run into the segment limit is when you try to load all of 100K topo. If you want the 100K topo (they are worth it for the DEM data) you are better off buying a T model as they have it with much fewer segments. There is some software out there that will combine the segment of the Garmin 100K map into much fewer segments so you can load it (but the process does not include the DEM data which the GPS can use for many functions like adding elevation to tracks-so I would not recomned it). However, you can get much better maps at GPSfiledepot.com for free (donations are appriciated).