Garmin 62s & Delorme PN-60 Map Questions

DBV2

Hello - on Black Friday, I was not sure what gps to buy, so I ended up buying the Garmin 62s and Delorme PN-60. I thought the Delorme may not work with my Mac, but it seems to work fine. I loaded Delorme's Topo maps for my area (Amherst, OH). So far, think the maps are ok. The Delorme topo map does not have the pond in back of our house on it. Would any of the maps that you pay the $30 subscription for be better than there standard Delorme free Topo ones?

On the Garmin 62s, I downloaded some Topo Maps of the Ohio area from gpsfile and one of them did display the pond behind our house, but did not show the newer road that we live on. I assume I am probably better off buying Garmin's Topo 24k map, rather than trying to find an updated free one?

Sorry, if these are dumb questions, but I have researched a lot on both of these, but still new to this whole handheld gps map game.

Not sure which model, I will keep yet either.

Thanks for the help!

For the Garmin 62s, the Garmin 24k Topos also include the routable street maps, so if you're only using your GPSr in the areas covered by that map, it's probably the way to go. If you want road maps for the whole country, you'll want either the City Navigator (easier) or the free openstreetmaps (cheaper) The BirdsEye subscription will allow you to download aerial imagery, which is nice, but for me, not a necessity.

With the DeLorme, the subscription will get you aerial imagery (like Garmin's separate BirdsEye product) in addition to maps of the whole country, so things like ponds will be visible there even if they're missing on the topos.

I think you probably get more bang for the buck with the DeLorme units, but for me I prefer the Garmin user interface as it seems more intuitive to me.(Though I prefer the touchscreen units)

I don't think the maps will be the difference, I think your preference of the day-to-day ease of use of each unit should guide your final choice.

.... Would any of the maps that you pay the $30 subscription for be better than there standard Delorme free Topo ones? .....

Thanks for the help!

These are two diffferent things, $30 subscription downloadable and the Topo maps included on the 5 DVDs in the box.

The Topo maps show all streets and are routable.

The downloadable, subscription include USGS 3DTQs and aerial photo imagery.

They are not mutually exclusive, such as one or the other. I use both.