COMPLETED (31857) - [FEATURE] Save searches and offline maps

nznomad

Hello,

I have been using my girlfriend's geocaching app on her iphone for a while now. I recently purchased an android phone, and was eager to get the equivalent app for that. I was very disappointed to realise that the Android app is nowhere near as good as the Iphone app. Why is that?

I travel a lot, and am often roaming, so for me the most important feature associated with the Iphone app was the ability to use wifi to do a "search for nearby caches", then save that list and all the associated maps onto the phone for offline use.

Not only can I not save the maps, but there isn't even an option to save the search I have just done. I have to save each individual cache one at a time....what a waste of time!

Annoyingly, on the Geocaching website, the Android App page actually says you can save the maps....but I have searched everywhere for the option to do this to no avail! Why advertise something you cannot do? It is very misleading and disappointing!

Other awesome missing features on the Android app:

To be able to switch easily between compass and map view

To switch the map to show North at the top, or direction of travel

To be able to use open street maps for footpaths and terrain info

Why is the Android app so different, when the geocaching app for Iphone is such a winner?

Will the future updates make the Android app more like the Iphone one?

Is the ability to save the maps like on the Iphone app coming soon?

There are a number of separate issues in your post and I'll try to address them one-by-one:

I travel a lot, and am often roaming, so for me the most important feature associated with the Iphone app was the ability to use wifi to do a "search for nearby caches", then save that list and all the associated maps onto the phone for offline use.

Not only can I not save the maps, but there isn't even an option to save the search I have just done.

The ability to save an entire search is indeed a missing feature and one that we have recently completed. You will see this functionality in the next release.

To be able to switch easily between compass and map view

This can be easily done by pressing the hardware Menu button and then selecting the Compass/Map option.

To switch the map to show North at the top, or direction of travel

This functionality is not yet available. I encourage you to post a separate request for this.

To be able to use open street maps for footpaths and terrain info

This functionality is coming. Saved maps are currently not available because Google does not permit saving of their map tiles and that is the only mapset currently provided on the Android app. We have a bug in to remove the wording from the Android page on the site indicating that you can save maps for offline use.

Thanks for your response,

Good news to hear that the Open streetmaps are coming, and that the save function has also been added.

With regard to the Google Maps not being able to be saved for offline use, this makes a lot of sense. However, if this is the case, how come this is possible in the Iphone app? On that app, you are able to choose to save the Google Street maps, the Open Streetmaps (labelled Terrain), Satellite maps, or any combination of them, for offline use?

It seems a little inconsistent.

With regard to the Google Maps not being able to be saved for offline use, this makes a lot of sense. However, if this is the case, how come this is possible in the Iphone app? On that app, you are able to choose to save the Google Street maps, the Open Streetmaps (labelled Terrain), Satellite maps, or any combination of them, for offline use?

It seems a little inconsistent.

No, you cannot save any of the Google map tiles for offline use, even on the iPhone. If you have Google selected for any of the map types, you will see "N/A" with an icon providing more information on the Google limitation.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. However, on the Iphone app, there seems to be some maps available for offline saving, that are very Google looking, which are not Open Streetmap. Whatever those are...can we have that option on the Android platform too?

I don't know what maps they are, but there is the option to save normal maps, satellite maps and Open Street maps (Terrain) on the Iphone App for Offline use. It would be really really awesome to have the same on the Android App.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. However, on the Iphone app, there seems to be some maps available for offline saving, that are very Google looking, which are not Open Streetmap. Whatever those are...can we have that option on the Android platform too?

I don't know what maps they are, but there is the option to save normal maps, satellite maps and Open Street maps (Terrain) on the Iphone App for Offline use. It would be really really awesome to have the same on the Android App.

It depends on what you have selected in your settings for each map type. For street maps, there is the option of OpenStreetMaps or Google Street. For topo, OpenCycleMap is currently the only option. For satellite, the options are Google Satellite or Google Hybrid (and thus satellite maps cannot be saved for offline use).

I really think you should have another look at the Iphone app.

If you press "nearby Caches" to initiate a search. Then once the search is complete, press the disk icon at the top, to save the search. A box comes up with some options. There are three tick boxes to save maps for offline use. Street maps, Terrain, and Satellite. It is definitely there. The streetmaps it downloads are definitely not the Open map ones. Though I concur that the Terrain maps are the Open Cycle Map ones.

I have used this app, with all the three types of maps offline. The options are definitely there.

There are three tick boxes to save maps for offline use. Street maps, Terrain, and Satellite. It is definitely there. The streetmaps it downloads are definitely not the Open map ones.

Correct, there are three toggles, but if Google is selected for one, it will be toggled to "OFF" by default and cannot be toggled on. The only option for street maps besides Google Street in the settings is OpenStreetMap.

I have the same problems as NZNomad, it seems the iphone app is much more user friendly and easier to use when saving numerous caches - although I just discovered how to use Pocket Queries, which is a bit of a help as a premium member - even though it only seems to give you a whole country's geocaches. Funnily enough its too much of a help in the sense it gives you ALL the geocaches, not just an area you are looking for.

Moun10bikw, are you able to specify a more precise location when generating a pocket query search, or is it only if the area you are looking for is in the state/province drop down box? For example if I'm looking for caches only in Bali, but not necessarily all of Indonesia, how would I do this?

Also are you able to automatically save the recent logs in these pocket queries, or do you have to go into each cache to save it from the website?

Also are you able to give a rough indication as to how far off the next update will be available including the ability to save more then 1 at a time?

Edited by O'DoyleRulz

Yes, I too have been trying to get around the problem with Pocket Queries.

If you generate the pocket query on the website, then you can be really specific as to what you want, then on the Geocaching app, you can go to pocket queries section, and download the query you ran online.

I really do not understand why the app doesn't make use of the recent logs in the pocket query though. They are there as I can see the last five logs using the same pocket query in another app on my Nokia. What is the point of us having the data available offline, if we have to use a data connection to pay to refresh it to get the recent logs!!!

To be honest, I only paid the money for the Android App so that I could enjoy offline caching during our world travels in the same way as my GF does on her Iphone. I have been sorely disappointed.

I cannot understand why the apps are not the same. Why write two totally different apps.

When we arrive somewhere, my GF gets on the wifi. Does a quick "nearby" search of the area, saves the search, along with the maps, and we go out and get them. Total roaming/data costs so far for her "0"

When I do it, I have to generate a pocket query, and download it over wifi. Then I can go out. I cannot just do a quick nearby search, and save it. I have to save each cache one by one!!

If I want recent logs from the cache while I am out and about, I have to refresh the cache in question, costing me money for mobile data. If I want maps, I have to download them live (again, more cost).

I even purchased a local sim and data plan to try to keep the costs down, but so far in just two weeks of caching overseas, this app has cost me around $20 in data charges.

I only purchased it because I expected it to be identical to the Iphone app. How can I warrant $20 data charges compared to the Iphone's zero!

I too would like to know when the application I paid for on the understanding of the fact that the website (at the time) advertised downloadable maps and savable searches as a feature is going to to be updated to deliver what I expected when I paid for it.

As it is I feel totally cheated. (and embarassed to admit that my gf's Iphone does something better than my HTC)

Edited by nznomad

Moun10bikw, are you able to specify a more precise location when generating a pocket query search, or is it only if the area you are looking for is in the state/province drop down box? For example if I'm looking for caches only in Bali, but not necessarily all of Indonesia, how would I do this?

When setting up your PQ, you can ignore the "Within" panel (where you select country and state/province) and instead use the "From Origin" panel. There you can select a GC code, your home coordinates, other coordinates, et al. as the center point of your search. Then, set the radius of your search and you can carve out a circular area anywhere that you want.

Also are you able to automatically save the recent logs in these pocket queries, or do you have to go into each cache to save it from the website?

PQs include the last 5 logs for each cache that they contain.

Also are you able to give a rough indication as to how far off the next update will be available including the ability to save more then 1 at a time?

According to our tracking database this work has been completed and will be in our next release. That build is in testing right now, so I expect it to be available shortly.

This functionality is coming. Saved maps are currently not available because Google does not permit saving of their map tiles and that is the only mapset currently provided on the Android app. We have a bug in to remove the wording from the Android page on the site indicating that you can save maps for offline use.

Hello,

Is there any ETA on this feature?

I hope it will be soon, as I was really disappointed when switching from iphone to android that this crucial feature is not implemented.

Thanks!

He means offline maps. Like the iPhone app. Not saved searches. ( which was a welcome addition, thankyou)

This was the whole reason I started this thread in the first place. We need offline maps. Openstreet map, bing, google it doesn't matter. Just something.

We have plans in the works for a solution to the current lack of online maps for the Android, but implementation is a little ways out. We were surprised by the recent changes to Google's and Bing's licensing agreements and are scrambling to design a system that can be leveraged by all of our platforms.

We have plans in the works for a solution to the current lack of online maps for the Android, but implementation is a little ways out. We were surprised by the recent changes to Google's and Bing's licensing agreements and are scrambling to design a system that can be leveraged by all of our platforms.

I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4, deliberately with no data plan. I want to download map(s) from Wi-Fi for greater Tampa for offline use with saved searches overlaid. This looks like the perfect forum thread for inquiry and instruction, but has no progress update to the solution suggested in the last post from Jan 2012. Is there no progress, or a newer thread with newer solutions? Much appreciated.