GPS60Csx Unstable Maps

AndyF.

Hi

having recently moved up from a GPS76 to a GPSmap 60Csx (yep, I like to keep up with the times) I have been plotting a few walks round Yorkshire to get used to the system. FYI I am using Quo V2 to plot and have 50K Topo UK on the unit. Apart from the sad lack of detail, which I accept, I am experiencing issues when using the unit on the move which do not seem correct.

I have the unit set to Orientation:Track Up below 800ft but the map seems to re-draw almost continuously with the orientation (should be my heading) flipping round sometimes almost 180deg. This makes the unit almost unusable.

Do I have some setting incorrect? Any other suggestions?

Any help appreciated.

AndyF.

Sounds like maybe an electronic compass issue. Have you calibrated the electronic compass after every battery change and are you holding the GPS perfectly flat. Better off; just turn the electronic compass off. The old 60CSx only has a 2-axis electronic compass which is nearly worthless in many locations. You must hold it perfectly flat (horizontal) for the electronic compass to work but that makes the GPS receive errorious bounced signals (multi-pathing). I found that a 2-axis electronic compass worked ok if I was in an area with open sky but worthless around trees, hills, buildings, etc. That’s why I had mine turned off most of the time. The newer Garmin’s have a 3-axis electronic compass that is pretty amazing.

I have the same model and use approx the same settings - "Track Up" below 200 ft. I'm rarely ever usung it below 200' zoom so it runs in my preferred North Up (paper map) mode. But, when I riding my motorcycle at night I sometimes zoom down to 200' to get Track Up which acts like a moving map and I get a preview of the upcoming turns. However, when I stop at an intersection, the map jumps around as you describe because it computes my heading every second and the inaccuracy is such that it thinks I'm keep changing direction. As soon as I get moving, it locks on the Track Up mode again.

I suspect you are walking so slowly that the GPS thinks you are actually keep changing direction due to the error in calculating your exact position.

Try running :)

Bob

Sounds like maybe an electronic compass issue. Have you calibrated the electronic compass after every battery change and are you holding the GPS perfectly flat. Better off; just turn the electronic compass off. The old 60CSx only has a 2-axis electronic compass which is nearly worthless in many locations. You must hold it perfectly flat (horizontal) for the electronic compass to work but that makes the GPS receive errorious bounced signals (multi-pathing). I found that a 2-axis electronic compass worked ok if I was in an area with open sky but worthless around trees, hills, buildings, etc. Thats why I had mine turned off most of the time. The newer Garmins have a 3-axis electronic compass that is pretty amazing.

Another thing to try then! Thanks

Edited by AndyF.

I have the same model and use approx the same settings - "Track Up" below 200 ft. I'm rarely ever usung it below 200' zoom so it runs in my preferred North Up (paper map) mode. But, when I riding my motorcycle at night I sometimes zoom down to 200' to get Track Up which acts like a moving map and I get a preview of the upcoming turns. However, when I stop at an intersection, the map jumps around as you describe because it computes my heading every second and the inaccuracy is such that it thinks I'm keep changing direction. As soon as I get moving, it locks on the Track Up mode again.

I suspect you are walking so slowly that the GPS thinks you are actually keep changing direction due to the error in calculating your exact position.

Try running :)

Bob

Running gave up on me some time ago...