Old maps on New GPS?

Jester966

I have 2007 Topo Canada maps on a Garmin Vista HCx.

If I buy a new Oregon 450 (or other newer garmin), am I able to load the same maps onto the new device?

If I put the MicroSD card from the Vista into an Oregon, will the maps show up?

Basically I'm wanting to upgrade the device, but don't want to have to buy new maps if the old ones are still compatable with the new device.

Also, if it is possible to use the old topological maps, will the "3D"-like shading effect in the Oregon screenshots show up?

Thanks

Edited by Jester966

I have 2007 Topo Canada maps on a Garmin Vista HCx.

If I buy a new Oregon 450 (or other newer garmin), am I able to load the same maps onto the new device?

If I put the MicroSD card from the Vista into an Oregon, will the maps show up?

Basically I'm wanting to upgrade the device, but don't want to have to buy new maps if the old ones are still compatable with the new device.

Also, if it is possible to use the old topological maps, will the "3D"-like shading effect in the Oregon screenshots show up?

Thanks

Are these Garmin maps? If you bought the maps on a DVD, they may be locked to a single device. If they are locked to a single device you will have to buy a new unlock code.

Sorry, yes they are Garmin maps. They were purchased on CDs. The maps on the MicroSD card are just the Southern Ontario maps, put onto the GPS with MapSource.

Are there any free Southern Ontario topographical maps available? I had a quick look last night, but none of the maps I found covered this area.