comparing Magellan Explorist GC & etrex20

hydrodis

I had an older etrex legend C and I bought an explorist and use this GC right now. It is handy to have the notes and finds on the device.

I can tell you without even seeing it that the etrex 20 is going to be a better device. I miss the upgradable maps. The GC maps are not very detailed at all IMO.

The Magellen vantagepoint software is not very good software at all. I only use GSAK now. Garmin has pretty decent software.

I would have purchased the etrex 20, but it was not available at the time. I will probably be replacing my GC with this etrex at some point in the future.

Shaun

You don't need Vantage Point to geocache with the GC. You just copy the GPX files into the directory in the GPS where they go. But, if you are looking for a apples to apples comparison, I'd go with nearly any Garmin over a GC, if it's an option. As noted, the ability to add maps is an awesome selling point. The GC is great for what it is. And, it is a beginner level GPS that does paperless caching well. The new etrex line look solid, and with proper paperless, I can't see how you could go wrong with one. I just read that the etrex 20 supports bird's eye imagery as well. As noted, you're stuck with what the GC gives you, and while it is adequate, it isn't enough for me. (I currently us a GC because I broke my Oregon, and wanted a cheap, fast replacement. I have a 60CSx currently in shipping.) If you're seriously constrained by cash, or are incredibly easily impressed, the GC is a solid entry level rig. If you even think you might outgrow it, I'd go for the etrex.

I just bought the Explorist GC and tried it out for the first time yesterday. It's handy enough for caching, easy to figure out, has awesome screen graphics, and it's cheap.

The one and only complaint I have with it, and it's a major complaint, is that it tends to freeze up the minute you get under tree cover. Out in the open it's super fast and accurate but for a unit specifically designed for caching, you'd think Magellan would make one that worked well in the woods. It brags itself up to be high sensitivity but I beg to differ. For that reason alone, I don't recommend this product. Yesterday, it locked up on my about 95% of the time within 80-50 feet of the cache, the minute I stepped off the trails into the trees. I found all the caches by looking around and geosense, no thanks to the Explorist. Once I got back on the trails, it would unfreeze and start working again.

Garmin offers a "recalibrate" feature to correct this. Magellan does not.

Also, downloading with the Magellan communicator, using "send to GPS" is lightning fast, faster than the Garmin communicator, but after downloading 28 caches yesterday and hitting the trails, only 26 of them downloaded even though all 28 said they downloaded successfully. So now I'll have to check the download list in the future in case some of them don't actually download.

You don't need Vantage Point to geocache with the GC. You just copy the GPX files into the directory in the GPS where they go. But, if you are looking for a apples to apples comparison, I'd go with nearly any Garmin over a GC, if it's an option. As noted, the ability to add maps is an awesome selling point. The GC is great for what it is. And, it is a beginner level GPS that does paperless caching well. The new etrex line look solid, and with proper paperless, I can't see how you could go wrong with one. I just read that the etrex 20 supports bird's eye imagery as well. As noted, you're stuck with what the GC gives you, and while it is adequate, it isn't enough for me. (I currently us a GC because I broke my Oregon, and wanted a cheap, fast replacement. I have a 60CSx currently in shipping.) If you're seriously constrained by cash, or are incredibly easily impressed, the GC is a solid entry level rig. If you even think you might outgrow it, I'd go for the etrex.

You are so correct. My GC was a quick cheap replacement for doing such an idiot thing as laying my old unit down on the hood of my car, then forgetting it and driving away. I had the same thought, this GPS would be perfect for a newbie running around grabbing micros from out under lamp post skirts but for a seasoned cacher, you find yourself wanting to pitch it in the nearest creek out of frustration.

It will probably be spring before I get enough cash together to get a really good unit. At that point, I think I'll give the GC to a newbie I know who would appreciate it.

Also, downloading with the Magellan communicator, using "send to GPS" is lightning fast, faster than the Garmin communicator, but after downloading 28 caches yesterday and hitting the trails, only 26 of them downloaded even though all 28 said they downloaded successfully. So now I'll have to check the download list in the future in case some of them don't actually download.

I don't use any software at all. I run a PQ, download it, open the zip files, and put the geocaches.gpx in the geocaches folder and the waypoints.gpx in the waypoints folder on the GC. Takes like 30 seconds to upload 1,000 caches, and hasn't failed to work yet.

Yeah, like I said, I have a 60CSx on the way, and I'll prolly get another Oregon for Mrs. DazD (she likes the ease of use and touch screen, as well as the better mapping) in the next few weeks. After that, I'll either give the GC to a friend or family member that I know who cache, or maybe keep it as a back up.

Later!

I purchased a GC in September 2010.In less than a year the rubber nipple on the joystick came away and the unit was replaced by Amazon.

The replacement unit has developed a new fault,the "back" button doesn't work.I am in touch with Magellan but I don't hold out much hope of progress so I am looking at the etrex 20 in the hope that this is a more robust unit.