ExpertGPS/EasyGPS Recommendations

Quetzalteco

I would like to see either or both of these products have a better import/export capability, mostly export. I would like to be able to export all the data that is in the .loc file such as the web site.

Any chance of an update of the products including better import/export capabilities?

Quetzalteco

Have you found Geobuddy?

I don't want to sound rude (and believe me - I'm TRYING not to) but in your first five posts to the forum, you have made 5 complaints/suggestions about EasyGPS.

Geocaching.com partners with EasyGPS, but the software is created by Topografix. Some of your suggestions sound like good ones, but I believe your suggestions should be directed to them. The only thing that Geocaching.com has control over is WHAT is exported.

The *.loc files were originally designed specifically to import directly into the GPS, so the data is a little stripped down.

The pocket query's palm readable file was designed to accommodate more information exported. But that doesn't solve your problem.

I believe what you're looking for will be solved with the introduction of the GPX format. I'm not too hip on it, but it should like it will do what you're looking for.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

"Therapy is expensive but bubble wrap is free."

quote:

Any chance of an update of the products including better import/export capabilities?

ExpertGPS/EasyGPS will import/export GPX format, which is about as good as it gets.

If you're lookig for something to do .loc -> mapsend, mapsend -> mapsource, mapsource -> GPX, GPX -> whatever.. check out gpsbabel.

It's the end-all import/export/convert/molest utility for waypoint and gps data.

I personally use it to take my multiple pocketquery .loc files and convert them to:

Magellan SD Card Waypoint Format.

GPX for ExpertGPS and others.

PocketStreets Pushpins

CSV for MS S&T 2003

Set up in batch, the whole process takes literally about 5 seconds and my dozen-or-so different mapping/gps/route planning software(s) all have instant access to the latest caches.

alex

I contacted the site (Easy/ExpertGPS) about some potential changes and they were very recieptive to my thoughts. One of my ideas was available in ExpertGPS but not EasyGPS (I only use Easy so far), but they thought my reasoning was valid and stated that they would likely incorporate it into a fix.

The idea, by the way, was to have numbering down the side to tell how many waypoints are in each file/chart. That way you know how many waypoints you currently have, or have room for in your GPSr (my Mag315 unit doesn't show me this). Then when you are in a file and selecting the waypoints for upload, you know how many you have selected.

This is the short version of the idea so I hope it still makes sense on here.

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!