creating a cache

Mourneman

]Hi Folks

started geocaching a few months now,must say i think it's great.So was thinking of planting my first cache & was looking for some helpful tips about doing this.Most of the cache's i've found have been in the mountains & mostly always under rocks,can anyone help me with some idea's for cache's in a mountain area other than hiding under rock,also something other than a tuberware container,any idea's are most welcome,cheers guys

Just a note: if the coin you mention taking from GC13XQ8 Downtime is this one:

Civil War Geocoin #7 Vicksburg

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=402f24e0-4c87-42ea-b103-a60538597c3a

You need to log that you retrieved it from that cache. It doesn't show as being picked up.

It's a trackable that belongs to someone else, and it's meant to be moved, not kept.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/howtogeocoin.aspx

http://www.geocaching.com/track/default.aspx

If that's not the coin, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

There are plenty of options for hiding caches other than under rocks. (Very few of the caches we've found have been under rocks, thankfully.)

A good solid, waterproof container can be hidden in a number of clever ways. We have a favorite cache that is up, out-of-reach, but the hider made it so it can be retrieved without climbing the tree. (Think "string & pulley"... B) )

Here's the Groundspeak page "Hiding your first cache":

http://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx

Read through the Guidelines thoroughly, at least a few times:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=11'>http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=11

There's lots of helpful info in the Knowledge Books:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

what can i do to fix this,sorry about this but i did lift the geocoin your talking about,but i moved it on to slieve binnian geocache in the mourne mountains,how do i fix this,i see the links you've attached ,i'll read over them & try to fix this,once again i'am sorry,that was my first geocache, oops mourneman

what can i do to fix this,sorry about this but i did lift the geocoin your talking about,but i moved it on to slieve binnian geocache in the mourne mountains,how do i fix this,i see the links you've attached ,i'll read over them & try to fix this,once again i'am sorry,that was my first geocache, oops mourneman

Hi :)

By any chance, do you have a note anywhere of the tracking number of the geocoin?

If you do then we can help you do the correct logging i.e. retrieving it from the Downtime cache and logging it into the Slieve Binnian cache.

If you don't then the best thing you can do is email the owner of the geocoin (through their profile name, on the geocoin's page). Explain that you have moved their coin into another cache but you weren't aware of the correct way to do the logging. Give them the GC number of the cache where you have placed it. Ask them if they could give you the tracking number of their coin so that you can make the move correctly.

This is a lesson that most new geocachers learn at some point early on in the geocaching career: When you take any trackable item from a cache always make a note of its tracking number for future reference. If you have that vital tracking number then any hitches/confusions/mis-loggings can be resolved.

MrsB :)

Hi thanks for replying ,I, took several photo,s of the coin ,where would the tracking code be?I've also contacted the owner asking for help,"what a plonker I am

By any chance, do you have a note anywhere of the tracking number of the geocoin?

If you do then we can help you do the correct logging i.e. retrieving it from the Downtime cache and logging it into the Slieve Binnian cache.

If you don't then the best thing you can do is email the owner of the geocoin (through their profile name, on the geocoin's page). Explain that you have moved their coin into another cache but you weren't aware of the correct way to do the logging. Give them the GC number of the cache where you have placed it. Ask them if they could give you the tracking number of their coin so that you can make the move correctly.

This is a lesson that most new geocachers learn at some point early on in the geocaching career: When you take any trackable item from a cache always make a note of its tracking number for future reference. If you have that vital tracking number then any hitches/confusions/mis-loggings can be resolved.

Hi thanks for replying ,I, took several photo,s of the coin ,where would the tracking code be?I've also contacted the owner asking for help,"what a plonker I am

:D

It's OK, you're allowed to be a bit of a plonker when you first start out ;)

You should see the tracking number on the reverse of the coin just under the two flags. Can you find it and read it? If you can, don't put it here in your forum post, just let us know that you have got it... then we can give further instructions!

MrsB

ok guys,thanks for all the advice so far,i've managed to log the geocoin from downtime as grabbed from downtime,now how do i log where i put it?ps you's guys are great!

OK. Step #1 accomplished - It now shows as being "in your hands"...

Now you need to show that it's been dropped off into the Slieve Binnian cache...

Go back to your Found It log on the SB cache, underneath your log click on "Edit log"... then you get a page with your log on it... Just above it click on "Edit log" again...

Now you have your Comments box with your log in it and, underneath, you'll see "Dropped off any trackables?"

Next to the geocoin name, select the action from the drop-down box - "Dropped off"

Then (at the bottom) click "Submit Log Entry".

This will drop off the geocoin into the Inventory on the SB cache page to show everyone it's there. It usually takes maybe a couple of minutes for the log magic to occur - You can then go back to the Slieve Binnian cache to check it's all worked OK.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

ok guys,thanks for all the advice so far,i've managed to log the geocoin from downtime as grabbed from downtime,now how do i log where i put it?ps you's guys are great!

OK. Step #1 accomplished - It now shows as being "in your hands"...

Now you need to show that it's been dropped off into the Slieve Binnian cache...

Go back to your Found It log on the SB cache, underneath your log click on "Edit log"... then you get a page with your log on it... Just above it click on "Edit log" again...

Now you have your Comments box with your log in it and, underneath, you'll see "Dropped off any trackables?"

Next to the geocoin name, select the action from the drop-down box - "Dropped off"

Then (at the bottom) click "Submit Log Entry".

This will drop off the geocoin into the Inventory on the SB cache page to show everyone it's there. It usually takes maybe a couple of minutes for the log magic to occur - You can then go back to the Slieve Binnian cache to check it's all worked OK.

think i got it done ok,i've dropped in in slieve binnian cache and there's only been one visit since i was there,can you check if i've done this,ps many many thanks for guiding me through this

MrsB

Yes, that looks fine - It's now showing in the Slieve Binnian cache. :)

I see you also moved along another trackable - a 'Snowdrop' snowflake.

Just for future reference:

When you find a trackable in a cache and it is showing listed in that cache's inventory box, you should log it out of the cache using the "Retrieved from..." log option.

If you see a trackable in a cache but you decide not to take it, you can make a note of its tracking number and do a "Discovered it" log.

If you find a trackable in a cache but it's not showing in that cache's inventory box then things get a bit more complicated... So I won't go into all that here!

OK - back to placing a cache:

Things *I* would consider in placing a cache:

• Find a good location. Why are you bringing people to this spot? While some people do cache just to increase their find count by one, many people like to be taken to caches that are in neat or interesting locations - local history, nice views, cool hikes, little known parks or locations. Run-of-the-mill locations may get hit more often, but *I* would rather make it interesting for the finders.
  • Check for other caches in the area. Be sure to read all of the guidelines, but in particular this part about saturation and this part about how to check for saturation with the possible hidden points.
  • Read ALL of the guidelines. Start with this overview and be sure to click through to the examples and explanations.
  • Make sure the contents are good. Appropriate, nice for kids to find if this is a kid-friendly cache.
  • Get permission if it's necessary. No need to get Land Managers mad at Geocachers.
  • Consider the container. Will it stand up to the weather? Will the contents be secure? Is it clearly marked? Is it an appropriately-sized container to make sure that people aren't disturbing naturals surroundings too much by looking?
  • Re-Read ALL of the guidelines.

If it all looks good, place the cache and submit it - make sure you put attributes on the cache page.

Then sit back and watch the Smiley's roll in for your placement.

When there is a problem with the cache, be sure to maintain it in a timely fashion.

Yes, that looks fine - It's now showing in the Slieve Binnian cache. :)

I see you also moved along another trackable - a 'Snowdrop' snowflake.

Just for future reference:

When you find a trackable in a cache and it is showing listed in that cache's inventory box, you should log it out of the cache using the "Retrieved from..." log option.

If you see a trackable in a cache but you decide not to take it, you can make a note of its tracking number and do a "Discovered it" log.

If you find a trackable in a cache but it's not showing in that cache's inventory box then things get a bit more complicated... So I won't go into all that here!