Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gpsblake

Curious if there is central data base that logs roadside historical markers.

An example of this is:

.Nov26_54.JPG

There seems to be a lot of these, some right out in the open, some buried in brushes and forgotten Has anyone attempted to log these via their GPS system?

I think the historical markers to which you are referring are state or local owned. That is, I doubt you'll find a database of them all. You might find a listing of "Historical markers in Jackson county, Kansas" or similar somewhere... have you tried a google search?

Oh hell.. I'll do it myself.

South Carolina Historical Marker Program - information from the state on how to get your very own historical marker. (no list of existing markers)

Historical Markers of the Pee Dee Region of South Carolina - this site (grrr, popups) has lists of historical markers in five counties.

Ian Histor's Historical Markers Page - lists a handful of historical markers from numerous states.

highwaymarker.org - looks to be the site of all highway marker sites... but each time I try to access the site, I get an IE error popup that says that IE has encountered a problem and needs to shut down.

Anyway, that's what I found in a few minutes of looking.

Jamie

I was able to get into highwaymarkers.org (I have IE 6.0.28) but it's rather anemic. Seems to be a personal log site for the owner. It looks most useful for its links to other sites, which Ian Histor's site does even better.

Interesting idea...could be a little like benchmarking if there were a database of coords and a place to log your finds.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt