Picked up unactivated travel bug

RedhedMary

I picked up a travel bug last week. Nicely done with a laminated tag explaining the bug's mission, etc. Tried to log it and found it it hasn't been activated yet. I looked back at the cache's recent logs, and one mentioned leaving the travel bug. I have written twice to those cachers asking them to activate it, but have not received any replies. First time I've come across this situation in 5 1/2 years of caching (and I've moved a LOT of bugs and coins...)

How long do you think I should wait before activating this? I'd really like the original owners to activate it so they can follow their traveler. The tag mentions that it is in honor of their baby's birth. I could go ahead and activate it myself and transfer ownership if I ever do hear from them, right?

You have moved a lot of bugs. I've been a technical trouble-shooter for over 20 years and one thing I've learned is to start simple and start at the beginning. So I have to ask these questions just to make sure.

Did you check the tracking number to verify 0 vs O, 1 vs l, 2 vs Z, 5 vs S, 8 vs B, etc.

Can you tell me which cache you found it in? That does the attached traveler look like? Does the tag give the name of the bug? Who do you think placed the bug?

Thank you.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Yep, checked the tracking number several times. They are all clear letters and numbers, none of the "tricky" ones are part of the code. It does come up as the right kind of cachekinz, and says it's not been activated yet.

I found it on Sept. 25 in the Rainbow Bug Motel, GCM697. It's a firelfly cachekinz, with a laminated attached tag that gives its name, Piper's Firefly, and states it's in honor of baby Piper's birth. There is a log, I believe it was Sept. 6th, from a team named edingeoteam, that specifically mentions that they dropped off Piper's Fire Fly. So not sure if they were starting it there or just passing it along. I've written to that team twice through GC.com and no reply.

What I will probably end up doing is activating it myself, but keeping the mission and everything else intact, just in case I ever do hear from that team.