crazy idea

mayonaze27

Would it be possible to grab a gps unit and make a mobile geocache? Like say on a vehicle or train? If so how could we keep the coords updated? Thanks to any thoughts on this have been thinking about this one for a while!

At one time, "moving geocaches" were permitted, and there are a few around that were grandfathered in, but you can't get one published now.

Would it be possible to grab a gps unit and make a mobile geocache? Like say on a vehicle or train? If so how could we keep the coords updated? Thanks to any thoughts on this have been thinking about this one for a while!

That sounds like a good idea, but they do not allow moving caches anymore. There are a few still floating around however.

I've heard similar ideas tossed about utilizing the APRS Network, but my guess is that you would need Groundspeak approval for such a concept.

I don't believe there would be a way to automatically update the coordinates on the page, without violating the TOU of the site (i.e. "scraping?"), but again, I think it would require a conversation with Groundspeak about the concept. I would think you'd have to use some offsite resource that shows the current location of the cache.