The Ultimate Treasure Hunt

This was originally wrote on reddit.com

I am asking for everyone's advice to put on the ultimate treasure hunt. This is my situation:

I have worked for about 4 years overseas as a contractor in Iraq/Afghanistan after 8 years in the Army fixing servers/computers/networks etc. I have been sick for some time and learned several years ago that I have pancreatic cancer. Its been progressing over the years and even with treatment I just been told it is at stage 4. I don't have family and the close friends I have are in my Will along with funds to help them out in life and for their kids.

My doctor told me last week I have maybe 6 months to go. I don't believe in God and wouldn't give my money to any church (no offense). I have been giving some of my money to select charities but I have been thinking about putting on a big treasure hunt. I wanted it to be across multiple states with clues and riddles at each site with the last site containing right at 176K in cash. It's the money I have left from working as a contractor in Iraq/Afghanistan after paying for funeral costs, plot, taxes, etc. Just wondering what some people would think about that and if I could get any ideas on the type of riddles or puzzles for the sites. I already have most of them done but would like some input on the rest. All ideas will be changed to not spoil any results. I've already done what I wanted to do with my time.

This is not a joke, prank or anything like that. Some of my buddies here wanted me to tell the news about it but I didn't want it to get that big or put too much attention on me. I always loved reading all the crazy things on reddit so that is why I wanted to do it here. Again I'm not looking for sympathy or anything and I don't want to pass with money in a government bank. I'm sure I people will write me saying this is b.s.; I don't care.

So far I the clues I have made are something that that is accessible to all people and in an area or place that the clues themselves cannot be manipulated or destroyed. This will prevent people trying to stop the people after them from playing. Each clue will be several riddles that will reveal the next location. I was thinking of a max of 6 locations (that I will say later) for each clue with the last containing the prize money. The money will be stored in small mechanical locked safe with the combination matching numbers from previous clues/sites. It will be in a red labeled mosler safe too. Also the previous riddles/clues will be the cypher to tell the GPS coordinates of the last site. I can also say that each site will be located in a beautiful area and will not in any way be dangerous. Win or lose you will walk away with some awesome photos and memories. One of the places will be in plain view that people walk by everyday. I've been working on this for about a year now planning this.

Again I time is an issue which is the only reason I am writing this. I have a my best friend who is like a brother helping me and my university history professor (who is like a dad to me) helping me too. I helped out their families already and they are of course not going to participate and each will watch the other just in case. I just need some ideas on the type of riddles or games to have at each site. I will put a slight spin on it to match the rest of the puzzles that I have.

Within three to four months from now (~Jan - Feb) I will post the beginning of this. I won't be checking on it after it begins.

All I ask in return to the winner is to use the money wisely, live your life to the fullest, and leave a note saying that you already found the money. Also in the bottom of this safe will be a small sealed package. This will be for you (the winner). It will say who I am and holds my journal. At the end of this journal on the last page you will see a name, address and email of a girl. I met her years ago while stationed in Germany. She resides in Turku, Estonia. I never told her about my condition and didn't want her to see me like this or to know. I just stopped talking to her years ago when I found out about my condition. There is a older looking letter written to her in this sealed package. Please don't open and read. If anything else, just send this letter to her. I will have this written again inside this safe.

All the instructions will be posted when this is done. In case I can't finish my best friend will post it in a few months when we are complete.

Reply to notmuchtime,

Your desire would certainly qualify as unusual, and has prompted me to join and send a reply. . .

You have put a lot of thought into this geocaching project and I'll not try to disuade your from completing your plan, you have some unresolved issues that I think you should try to finalize before you die. I encourage you to try to put yourself in the shoes of the lady you are writing your "last Letter" to and consider whether or not she would like the chance to talk to you, visit you, phone you etc. If given such an opportunity, I'm sure that most people would cherish the chance to make contact with you in some way before it's too late. Give it a thought (I'm sure you have already but try again)

If this lady means as much to you as you seem to suggest in your post then why not bequeath some or all of your spare money to her. If not directly, then as a fund in trust for her education, her family's education or even for her to donate to a favourite charity. You'll have the pleasure in knowing that she'll be putting the funds to good use, be it for herself, her family or for others and that you'll be fondly remembered in the future for your charitable and selfless act.

I personally think that setting up a cache with a large money prize to be won by some faceless person unknown to you would be strange to say the least. If you still think that leaving this money to an unknown geocacher is a good idea then maybe you could put strings on the prize in such a way that it would require the winner to donate all of the prize to their favourite charity?

I hope this helps. . .

Red Barn Too

FROM THE DESK OF: DR. DEHINDE DANIELS

Dear notmuchtime,

Greetings from my country, Nigeria. And by God's grace this is a warm embrace of a lifetime and mutually beneficial relationship between us, hence my writing you.

Dr. Dehinde Daniels is my name, 52 years old and an engineer. Happily married with lovely children. Special Adviser on petroleum to the former Military Head of State and presently, Chairman of the Contract Review Panel (C.R.P) appointed by the new Civilian administration, with the mandate to re-evaluate, scrutinize, approve and recommend for payment all previously awarded and executed contracts for the Petroleum Trust Fund (P.T.F).

You were introduced to me by a trusted contact in the External Affairs Ministry of Foreign Trade Mission to act fast by helping me and my colleagues as a foreign account holder transfer the sum of US$25.5M (Twenty Five Million, Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) into your personal or company account. You must treat this letter with utmost confidentiality and trust. We cannot afford to toy with this rare opportunity of a lifetime. It may interest you to know that this is no Scam or fairy tale.

To intimate you on the source of this fund, we over invoiced the contract sum of US$500M to 525.5M USD with the intention of using the $25.5M for our personal use and investment should we decide to retire from service. The consortium of ABB Lummus J.G.C of Japan, Julius Berger and Fouguerolle were awarded the said contract in Engineering and procurement work in Rivers and Delta State of Nigeria on the 10th of January, 1998 which was approved and paid in full by the Federal Military Government. The contractors (Foreign) had since been paid and the excess US$25.5M is in an escrow account of the Nigerian Deposit Bank (N.D.B).

Because we are still serving and cannot own a foreign account for now as in accordance with the law of my country, that's why we decided to contact you, and more so, the contract was done by foreign contractors and payments were made in United State Dollars, the more reason we urgently need your assistance to receive this money for us.

Dear brother, all modalities for the successful transfer of this fund including legal and administrative requirements in Nigeria as well as that of International Arbitration has been worked out. We hope to conclude this transaction within ten (10) banking days once you open communication with me to furnish me your willingness and by fax receive the following information needed for easy transfer of the fund:

(1) Your company or full names

(2) Company Address

(3) Phone/Fax Numbers

(4) Bank Name, Address, Account Name, Number and any other information.

I shall bring you into the complete picture of this transaction and give you directives you ought to adhere to for the successful transfer.

We have agreed that the funds will be shared thus:

(1) 20% of the money will go to you for acting as the beneficiary of the fund.

(2) 70% to us the Government officials (with which we wish to commence an importation business in conjunction with you).

(3) 10% has been set aside as an abstract projection for reimbursement to both parties for incidental expenses that may be incurred in the course of this transaction. Be rest assured that this transaction is absolutely 100% risk free on both side.

I await your call very soon.

Yours faithfully,

Dr. Dehinde Daniels

fax: + (234) 1 759 9626

daniels@engineer.com

NB. Mode of payment is by solar bank draft or telegraphic transfer.

Notmuchtime,

(If this is legit...) You can do what you will with the fruits of your labor. But, I tend to agree with RedBarn on many of his points. You seem to be approaching "us" for ideas for your puzzle and hopefully not wanting to make your prize a geocache.

Believe me, I'd be the first to grin like a possum as I dial in the clued combo to your safe, but I sure wouldn't make it a geocache if I were in your shoes. There are a lot of good folks in geocaching, but I wouldn't give over half of our group a dime. Most of us have enough disposable income to buy electronic doo-dads and waste literally tons of gas. Judging from my experience more than half don't have the decency to even close a container properly after a find or to muster enough to sign more than "THTF".

There are a lot of better places your money could go. Just this last weekend we took a kid camping with us. A new friend of my daughter. Family had a abusive husband, he is gone and this kid's mom raises her children in a small traier court on her one income (and some government help) Bought made me tear up when the boy made the comment after I cooked breakfast: "Real bacon, almost forgot what it tasted like....we've only had turkey bacon for years."

If you are just looking for ideas, then you are in the right place. Plenty of good/creative ideas can be found in caches.