Garmin Communicator Plugin not working.

Team Batpony

OK, so I recently bought a Garmin eTrex Venture. When I got home, I took the unit and cable out of the box. UGH its SERIAL!!! So I dug out my serial-to-USB converter, hooked it all up, installed the drivers and Garmin Communicator, went into GSAK, set it up, and it surprisingly worked. I transferred some caches, and it worked perfectly. BUT NOW HERE IS THE PROBLEM. It's been about a week, and I went to claim my free trial premium membership. So I hooked up my Garmin, the PC went "da dunk" like it does when you plug in something. I turned the unit on, registered it at the garmin website, and then went to the gc.com garmin free premium membership trial. I hit "Activate your trial" and it says this: "The Garmin device is either not connected or to isn't registered at My Garmin." So I went to the Garmin Communicator test page, and it says that the plugin is installed, but it does not detect the unit... Could someone please help me?

I solved it kind of. It turns that my palm handheld's sync software was loaded, and it kept fighting with the GPS over COM4. I quit the software, and it worked on garmin's site, BUT THERES STILL AN ISSUE... It still gives me the error on the gc.com free pm thingy... How can I fix THAT?

It's a used GPS. Maybe the free pm has already been used, too?

I solved it kind of. It turns that my palm handheld's sync software was loaded, and it kept fighting with the GPS over COM4. I quit the software, and it worked on garmin's site, BUT THERES STILL AN ISSUE... It still gives me the error on the gc.com free pm thingy... How can I fix THAT?

It's a used GPS. Maybe the free pm has already been used, too?

It says nothing about already used... It says this: The Garmin device is either not connected or to isn't registered at My Garmin.

It sounds like you are getting past this point, but, some of those usb/serial adapters are very flaky, and for some reason the garmin protocol really seems to push them to their limits. You might post what chipset your adapter has and people can comment on if they've had good or bad luck with that particular adapter.

Sounds like you need to register it at www.mygarmin.com

I did.

It sounds like you are getting past this point, but, some of those usb/serial adapters are very flaky, and for some reason the garmin protocol really seems to push them to their limits. You might post what chipset your adapter has and people can comment on if they've had good or bad luck with that particular adapter.

I honestly have no clue which chipset it is, as Windows 7 detected it automatically, so I had no need to manually get drivers like in XP...

Are you using Firefox? Garmin Communicator wouldn't work at all until last week with my new 62st under Firefox and Windows 7. They 'fixed' it but it's still flaky. Try using Internet Explorer.

I am using firefox. I will try IE when I am back on my PC.