Jeremy or Elias ... Explain, please!

BassoonPilot

I want to know why people who initiate a thread are apparently free to delete that thread, and all the posts it contains, yet users are not permitted to delete replies they have just posted.

Several times threads I've replied to have disappeared, but every time I have tried to delete a post I receive the following error message:

Error

1) A message cannot be deleted when it has replies.

2) You have not been given the security rights to access this page. You require the rights to access this site's administration pages. For a full list of any special rights you have on this site, see your profile. If you want to be given this access right, contact your administrator and ask for the 'Access Administration Pages' right.

I note:

1. There have never been any "replies" to posts I have attempted to delete.

2. Why does the "delete" option exist if users don't have the "right" to delete their own post?

3. So why are thread originators automatically granted the "right" to delete an entire thread?

It's absurd.

[This message was edited by Elias on September 07, 2002 at 06:11 AM.]

I've had this happen at least twice, I assumed it was because the thread originator deleted the thread while I was writing the first reply. I'm also assuming a person can delete his initial post (and therefore the "entire" thread) only if it has not been replied to, at least for a specified amount of time.

I do wish thread originators had some way to close a thread of their own though. Seems like this would be especially nice for time-relative topics and polls that keep on going after they need be.

When life gives you urine, make urinade.

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

... I'm also assuming a person can delete his initial post (and therefore the "entire" thread) only if it has not been replied to, at least for a specified amount of time.

I raise the issue because that is not the case. I've participated in several threads containing responses that were deleted.