Help with experienced GPSMAP 62s User

elgecko

I have been using and love my GPSMap 60CSx for a few years. I decided to update to a GPSMap 62s. I have found a few things I am not sure I like 100%, but could get used to if I cannot fix.... I think.

Is there a way to change the size of the huge pointer that takes up 1/3 the screen? The pointer size is over twice the size as the one on the 60CSx. I want to make the pointer smaller on the 62s, is it possible?

When I disconnect the mini USB from the 62s unit, it shuts off. The 60CSx would tell you that you lost external power and asks if it should stay on. Does the 62s have an option to stay on when disconnected because currently I cannot find an option for this? (Maybe it has to shutdown and reboot since the unit goes into a USB storage mode device when connected?)

This maybe a question for Clyde and his GSAK Program.

I do not think I'll be able to describe that well, I hope the pictures help you understand what I'd like the GPSMap 62s to do, which I cannot figure out yet..

I Geocache and use GSAK to load my information into my GPS's.

With the 60CSx and GSAK I could have the GC# and last 4 finds show on my GPS screen. The ability to show the last 4 finds was a great feature in my mind. I could quickly look at a cache and if it had several DNF listed I could ignore the cache. I would like to be able to display the last logs on the 62s, is that possible?

With the 60CSx I had options in GSAK to use a custom macro for my symbols. I cannot seem to do that with the new 62s.

With the 60CSx I could have the caches break down into more symbols to quickly tell what I was looking for. Such as I had, it displays Mircos and Multi Micros along with all the other cache types.

The 62s lumps the Micros as Traditional caches and Traditional Multis.

Can GSAK use a macro such as I did with the 60SCx to break down my caches even further?

Here is a picture of the same caches shown on my 62s and 60CSx (Last 4 logs shown, and notice the Micro symbols shown on the 60CSx.)

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

I know some people would say just read the cache description on the 62s.

When I take trips, I load the caches to show as small black squares on my Nuvi. When I see a cache that looks like it could be a quick find not far off the road, I glance at the 60CSx. I can quickly tell what type of cache it is (breaking it down further to micros), and the logs to determine if I want to stop for a quick search.

I am sure if I cannot change the few things I would like to; I will get use to the new way and forget about the old.

I do like really like the 62s so far.

NO way to change pointer size.

Turning off after unplugging can't be changed. After info has been loaded to the unit it has to restart to be able to access that data. SO the unit defaults to powering off when unplugged to force that restart.

You don't need GSAK to load caches on the unit. When plugged into you PC it acts as an external drive. All you have to do is drag and drop your .gpx files into the GPX folder on the unit.

AFAIK any macro you ised with the 60 should work with the 62 unless it was a 60 only macro. COuld be wrong about that and probably am. I don't use GSAK myself.

You don't need GSAK to load caches on the unit. When plugged into you PC it acts as an external drive. All you have to do is drag and drop your .gpx files into the GPX folder on the unit.

Or just load the web browser plug in and click "Send to my GPS" and it will be there waiting for you the next time you turn your unit on. I use "EasyGPS" to send

pocket queries to my 62st. Makes it fast and easy to load 1000 caches at a pop.

B.

[…]

With the 60CSx I had options in GSAK to use a custom macro for my symbols. I cannot seem to do that with the new 62s.

With the 60CSx I could have the caches break down into more symbols to quickly tell what I was looking for. Such as I had, it displays Mircos and Multi Micros along with all the other cache types.

[…]

Traditional and Multi are cache types. Micro is a cache size. So there is no way to change the icons.

But have a look there: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=7745&view=findpost&p=97225

Especially item No. 2 dealing with attribute (indicating) icons.

Frohes Jagen

Hans

I'm having a hard time looking at the screenshots to decide exactly what pointer you're talking about. I can't see anything that takes up 1/3 of the screen. Do you mean direction pointer or are you talking cursor pointer?

I'm referring to the direction pointer & I am exaggerating on the size, but it is huge compared to the 60CSx.

[…]

[…]

Traditional and Multi are cache types. Micro is a cache size. So there is no way to change the icons.

But have a look there: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=7745&view=findpost&p=97225

Especially item No. 2 dealing with attribute (indicating) icons.

Frohes Jagen

Hans

True Traditional is the cache type and Micro, SM, Med, etc is size; which I like to break it down and show Micros as a separate symbol.

Several years ago when I set up my 60CSx, I made custom symbols, and for GSAK, I found a macro that I modified so that when I sent my caches to my GPS from GSAK it would assign the custom symbols I wanted. It used the custom symbols I made for micros and multi micros, which you can see in the above picture of the 60CSx screen. (There is a way to change the icon.)

When I sent the caches to my GPS I would use; Send to GPS, set up for Generic USB, there was a checkbox that you could check to use Use Macro For Symbol Generation.

Now with the GPSMap 62s, when I click on Send to GPS, I cannot use the Generic USB setting, as it does not communicate with the GPSMap 62s. There is a setting for the GPSMap 62s, but does not have a place to check to use a custom macro.

I was looking around the GSAK forums last night and ran across that thread you sent me, trying to find something that would work like the 60CSx.

I did try some different things with the Macro in the link you referred me to.

It gets me extremely close to where I want with getting the cache info. The POI for micro caches may have to do if I cannot find a way to have it change the symbols to a micro container like I did with the 60CSx.

Looks like I will get better information to post this at the GSAK forums; but any ideas for anyone are still welcome here.

Edited by elgecko