Newbie help - pretty pls

mrspatch

Hi all - I am based in Kent - and started geocaching a few weeks ago.

Initially I was using my samsung monte phone - with trekbuddy - which is good, except that you cant multitask (i.e. pause trekbuddy and check the internet) without having to restart trekbuddy all again <_< which isnt any good when you have got an impatient family moaning at you that they are bored!!!!

Have been looking for another cheap gps for geocaching on ebay - anyway, I have just bought for £25 a Median MD95000. The reviews on here seemed OK so I thought it was worth a go.

I like the sound of the cachebox software - but really need some help and advice in pointing me to the right software, upto date maps etc.

(Don't laugh - it took me several weeks working out trekbuddy and 'creating' maps with mobac :( )

Have any of you got this handheld or have any experience with it - (most of the reviews on here seem to be from germany).

Many thanks

How is that pocket PC going to help you? This is an old unit and its GPSr isn't all that good. You may not get a signal at all under tree cover. All the reviews i've seen on the site for the unit indicate people are using it for paperless caching. Meaning they are Premium members giving them access to Pocket Queries (PQ). PQs give you not only the name, GC#, and cords for the cache but also the Description, hints, and recent logs. Its this info they pull from the PQ and upload to the pocket PC so they have it with them in the field. Often people do this because there hand held GPSr doesn't have the ability to carry that extra paperless data.

What you need is a good hand held GPSr. This way it can get you to the cache while you use your smart phone to look up the cache description, hits and logs. One like the Garmin eTrex H. Its a good cheap unit but will be double what you paid for the pocket PC.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ctg/Garmin-eTrex-H-GPS-Receiver-/69477669?rt=nc&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&_pcategid=156955&_pcatid=121&_pdpal=1&_refkw=etrex+h&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5251&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Edited by mpilchfamily

How is that pocket PC going to help you? This is an old unit and its GPSr isn't all that good. You may not get a signal at all under tree cover. All the reviews i've seen on the site for the unit indicate people are using it for paperless caching. Meaning they are Premium members giving them access to Pocket Queries (PQ). PQs give you not only the name, GC#, and cords for the cache but also the Description, hints, and recent logs. Its this info they pull from the PQ and upload to the pocket PC so they have it with them in the field. Often people do this because there hand held GPSr doesn't have the ability to carry that extra paperless data.

What you need is a good hand held GPSr. This way it can get you to the cache while you use your smart phone to look up the cache description, hits and logs. One like the Garmin eTrex H. Its a good cheap unit but will be double what you paid for the pocket PC.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ctg/Garmin-eTrex-H-GPS-Receiver-/69477669?rt=nc&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&_pcategid=156955&_pcatid=121&_pdpal=1&_refkw=etrex+h&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5251&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Well that told me!!!! Frankly my samsung monte is poop under tree cover as well :-( I was thinking of becoming a premium member and then downloading the cache info like you mention above. I did look at the garmin ones, but to be honest couldnt go to £50. So I'll have to work with what I can afford - and any help will be really really really appreciated :)

I use Viewranger mapping app on my nokia x6. It is brilliant! Every single one of our 258 caches has been found with it. Yes it is a paid app but if you go premium you can download your pocket queries straight into it and away you go. I also have never had a battery problem with it (but that's the phone for you, not the app).

We have a garmin etrex H but can't get on with it as it doesn't have maps in the same way that the phone has.

Btw I am in Kent too, feel free to drop me a line some time!

I use Viewranger mapping app on my nokia x6. It is brilliant! Every single one of our 258 caches has been found with it. Yes it is a paid app but if you go premium you can download your pocket queries straight into it and away you go. I also have never had a battery problem with it (but that's the phone for you, not the app).

We have a garmin etrex H but can't get on with it as it doesn't have maps in the same way that the phone has.

Btw I am in Kent too, feel free to drop me a line some time!

Hi there - lovely to hear a friendly voice :)

I had read so many things - about what had mapping capabilities and what didnt - so thought what I could afford would be too much money . . . . anyway got to go for now - dinner almost ready - lovely to hear from you. :)

I've used a Garmin etrek H for the vast majority of my finds. Although it is basic compared to what many users here have I've always found it accurate and dependable and highly rate it. I'm also in Kent so feel free to contact me for any advice/cache recommendations ! :)

I've used a Garmin etrek H for the vast majority of my finds. Although it is basic compared to what many users here have I've always found it accurate and dependable and highly rate it. I'm also in Kent so feel free to contact me for any advice/cache recommendations ! :)

Thanks 'vonbash' - when I have a few more pennies, I may want something better but for now - we shall wait and see - thanks for the friendly reply :-)))

You could use Cachemate but Cachebox looks pretty good and should do the job.

The good points I can see are:

Import GPX files directly so you can simply import the ones generated by the PQ system.

Create field notes.

You can enter additional waypoints, could be handy for multis.

Just downloaded and read the PDF manual and one of the requirements is Windows 5 or 6 smf most early PDA's are Windows 4

I am going to download it and try it on my PDA

Edited by DrDick&Vick

Downloaded and installe ok but it won't run, probably due to the version of Windows so I imagine you will have the same problem.

I would therefore suggest that you try Cachemate, get the Pocket PC version from HERE, only $8 so shouldnt break the bank.

Wow - thanks for the advice -- I did see that on a review from the 19th July ---- I'm using it with cachebox. Paperless caching is possible and my normal usage. Sometimes with weak signals (e.g. in forests) it is not too precise. :-) For precise locating I use my Etrex H. Meanwhile I exclusively use Cachebox, the perfect geocaching software for paperless caching. This increased the value of the PPC remarkably. Also I use GCEdit for editing tasks and for some conversions, like ROT13 , letter to number and more. ---- I have tried messaging the chap to see if he can talk me through it.

Thanks again for all the help :-)

Got the following reply from the chap I mentioned above:

Hi to Good Old England,

of course I will help you if you are getting trouble with the setup. In advance I advise you to install not too many other programs than cachebox since the latest versions need most of the memory to function quick and well.

Best regards from Bargteheide near Hamburg

Dietmar

Will let you know how I get on :)

another kent cacher here. i just recently purchased a garmin etrex h and love it. putting it to good use over the bank holiday weekend. hopefully reach 100 cache finds by tuesday. i hope there is a kent meet soon as would like to meet other cachers.

Oh my 100 !!!! - I guess you dont have lots of children with you then - I've only managed 6 finds so far - roll on the end of the summer holidays :D

Several days later and lots of help from Dietmar - cachebox is now installed on my medion MD 95000.

I had to install some extra compact framework files :unsure:

I have now just got to work out how to use the thing and set it up - at the mo it is not picking up the gps.

Cachebox does look the part BTW.

For those that need to know :blink:

1. The framework file I downloaded is NETCFSetupv35

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=65 (make sure pda is connected to pc so that files are installed on there too).

2. Download this http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17020 to PC

3. Copy files across to PDA (http://www.geoclub.de/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=54202) for instructions.

4. Install cachebox cab file on pda.

I could never have done this by myself so thankyou to Dietmar :D