Magellan Explorist GC versus Garmin Etrex legend H

Ok, I'm trying to decide between a Magellan Explorist GC and Garmin Etrex legend H. At the moment I have a Mac, (a purchase I'm beginning to regret) and I found out the Magellan won't work with Vantage Points or Pocket Queries. I've been using an Iphone up until now and I don't even think I've been using those two things, because I'm not even sure what they are. So, if I stick with my MAC which GPS unit should I get? If i decide to buy a regular PC laptop which GPS should I stick with?

I guess I'm looking for an answer for both situations. Comparing the two models of gps units I listed.......... 1. Which GPS would you use with the Mac, and 2. Which GPS would you use with the PC.

Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

So, if I stick with my MAC which GPS unit should I get?

As a Mac user, I would recommend getting almost any Garmin unit. Not familiar with the Etrex legend H, but does it have a serial or USB input?

Garmin has a good selection of Mac software (as well as PC versions) on it's website, and a Mac/PC Forum as well. I started off geocaching with a basic Garmin Streetpilot C510 car satnav in 2009, which proved reasonably satisfactory.

In mid-2011 I acquired secondhand an old green eTrex Venture, which immediately enabled much more accurate finding of many more types geocaches (and enabled placing my first cache).

All my PQ cache info can be pre-loaded from my Mac onto both Garmins. Alternatively you can load individual cache info from a web cache listing via Google. "Send to GPS" is a valuable website asset that apparently is only available for Garmins.

MY MAC GEOCACHING SETUP

G4 desktop & G4 laptop both running Leopard OSX 10.5.8

Garmin Roadtrip software for maps on laptop (for Mac only - free)

Garmin POI Loader software for caches (free)

GeoJournal & MacCaching -(GSAK-like software for Mac)- ideal for paperless caching

[i found out the Magellan won't work with Vantage Points or Pocket Queries.

I'm not sure where you saw this information but it is incorrect. Vantage Point is a Magellan application, and it does work with the Magellan GC. It also will load pocket queries just fine. Pocket queries are basically just a collection of Geocaches you can create based on a certain criteria (ex. all the large caches within 5 miles of your house.) More info on them can be found here. (note: you need to be a premium member to use pocket queries.)

As far as what GPS to buy both are good units. With that said I am not a fan of the Magellan GC as I have read too many reviews from users who have complained of bugs. My other gripe about the GC is that you cannot load additional maps (such as topo maps) on to the unit. As for the Legend H, it is a very good unit, but lacks the ability to natively hold paperless data (such as the geocache description, hints, logs, etc....)

If I can offer a suggestion it would be wait a week or two and the new etrex units will be available. The eTrex 10, and 20 will cost $119 and $199 respectively. Both look to be great units as they will add the ability to do full paperless Geocaching.

As for working on the Mac/PC, almost any of the modern GPS units available will work just fine with the Mac and PC's including the two you mentioned, as well as the new units coming out.

Edited by CacheFreakTim

Why the GC vs. the Legend H?

As far as features goes the GC blows the Legend out of the water. Especially if you become a PM and start using PQs. So this selection kind of baffles me. I could understand of you where comparing the GC to the eTrex 10 or the Dakota 10. They all make for a closer comparison.

As others have and will say, Gamin is probably your better choice. As a Pm a Magellan unit is OK but not so much for a basic member. Magellan's Communicator software seems to have allot of problems. Every other thread about the GC tends to be people complaining they can't get communicator to work so they are unable to use the Send to GPS button on the cache pages. Often its a PM complaining about it when they should be using PQs to download way more then one cache at a time. But there are other and better ways to get caches on the Magellan units then using the communicator. Another issue with the GC is there is no way to add or update the maps. At least with most recent Garmin units you have space and the ability to upload either paid for or free map map packs. Check out GPSFileDepot for the available free maps.

Bottom line is look at other options. The GC may not be your best option and if your willing to put some money into this then the Legend H isn't a good option either.

I have both a Dakota 10 and the Legend H. The Legend is black and white screen, doesn't support paperless caching, uses buttons to navigate (i prefear a good touch screen) and has a smallish screen.

[i found out the Magellan won't work with Vantage Points or Pocket Queries.

I'm not sure where you saw this information but it is incorrect. Vantage Point is a Magellan application, and it does work with the Magellan GC. It also will load pocket queries just fine. Pocket queries are basically just a collection of Geocaches you can create based on a certain criteria (ex. all the large caches within 5 miles of your house.) More info on them can be found here. (note: you need to be a premium member to use pocket queries.)

As far as what GPS to buy both are good units. With that said I am not a fan of the Magellan GC as I have read too many reviews from users who have complained of bugs. My other gripe about the GC is that you cannot load additional maps (such as topo maps) on to the unit. As for the Legend H, it is a very good unit, but lacks the ability to natively hold paperless data (such as the geocache description, hints, logs, etc....)

If I can offer a suggestion it would be wait a week or two and the new etrex units will be available. The eTrex 10, and 20 will cost $119 and $199 respectively. Both look to be great units as they will add the ability to do full paperless Geocaching.

As for working on the Mac/PC, almost any of the modern GPS units available will work just fine with the Mac and PC's including the two you mentioned, as well as the new units coming out.

Let me clarify. The Magellan won't won't worth with my MAC with Vantage Points and Pocket Queries. As for where I got the information, I got it right from the Magellan toll free number, tech support. They said the MAgellan would work, but I would not be able to use those two things on it. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. I appreciate it. :)

As far as features goes the GC blows the Legend out of the water. Especially if you become a PM and start using PQs. So this selection kind of baffles me. I could understand of you where comparing the GC to the eTrex 10 or the Dakota 10. They all make for a closer comparison.

As others have and will say, Gamin is probably your better choice. As a Pm a Magellan unit is OK but not so much for a basic member. Magellan's Communicator software seems to have allot of problems. Every other thread about the GC tends to be people complaining they can't get communicator to work so they are unable to use the Send to GPS button on the cache pages. Often its a PM complaining about it when they should be using PQs to download way more then one cache at a time. But there are other and better ways to get caches on the Magellan units then using the communicator. Another issue with the GC is there is no way to add or update the maps. At least with most recent Garmin units you have space and the ability to upload either paid for or free map map packs. Check out GPSFileDepot for the available free maps.

Bottom line is look at other options. The GC may not be your best option and if your willing to put some money into this then the Legend H isn't a good option either.

I have both a Dakota 10 and the Legend H. The Legend is black and white screen, doesn't support paperless caching, uses buttons to navigate (i prefear a good touch screen) and has a smallish screen.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the advice and will take a look at some other options.

So, if I stick with my MAC which GPS unit should I get?

As a Mac user, I would recommend getting almost any Garmin unit. Not familiar with the Etrex legend H, but does it have a serial or USB input?

Garmin has a good selection of Mac software (as well as PC versions) on it's website, and a Mac/PC Forum as well. I started off geocaching with a basic Garmin Streetpilot C510 car satnav in 2009, which proved reasonably satisfactory.

In mid-2011 I acquired secondhand an old green eTrex Venture, which immediately enabled much more accurate finding of many more types geocaches (and enabled placing my first cache).

All my PQ cache info can be pre-loaded from my Mac onto both Garmins. Alternatively you can load individual cache info from a web cache listing via Google. "Send to GPS" is a valuable website asset that apparently is only available for Garmins.

MY MAC GEOCACHING SETUP

G4 desktop & G4 laptop both running Leopard OSX 10.5.8

Garmin Roadtrip software for maps on laptop (for Mac only - free)

Garmin POI Loader software for caches (free)

GeoJournal & MacCaching -(GSAK-like software for Mac)- ideal for paperless caching

Thanks for the information! From everyone's replies it seems I'm going to be returning the Magellan and either keeping the Garmin etrex legend OR getting a better Garmin unit. Thanks again for replying.

Well, I liked the options the Magellan had, because it seemed to be made specifically for geocaching. I've been using my iPhone until now so any gps unit is going to boggle my mind for learning to use. Having said that, a new acquaintance has a Etrex Legend and he can show me how to use it if I keep it. The idea of having someone teach me how to use it was pretty appealing! Otherwise I'd be awfully overwhelmed.

Thanks for the reply.

Lil_explorer