Improved search request

Vacman

In the theme of what CARDA186 was asking for I like like to see an improved search engine for locating specific caches.

I would like to see an ability to search for words that are in the description, not just the title of a cache.

--------------------------------------------------

If you drop your keys into molten lava just let 'em go 'cause, man, they're gone.

You need to be a subscribing member, but once you are, do a Pocket Query. Once you have that, just open it up in Watcher and do the search. Watcher lets you search the full descriptions (and even the last five logs, if you want). By default, Watcher searches the short and long descriptions, cache name, and unencrypted hints.

If you want to search the entire database of all the caches in the entire wide, wide world, well, that'll take a lot of Pocket Queries... or use Google... or ask in the official geocaching chat and perhaps one of the regulars will know. If you just want to search in the caches you may actually do, the Pocket Queries and Watcher were indeed built for precisely that (and a quarter bazillion other things, too).

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

Oh I do use the Pocket Queries regularly - but I don't like having to wait for responses to be e-mailed. Will watcher extract the .gpx files from the geocaching db? Also I do use Quakemap for details and d/l to my GPS.

If you drop your keys into molten lava just let 'em go 'cause, man, they're gone.

quote:
Originally posted by Vacman:

Will watcher extract the .gpx files from the geocaching db?

If you're asking if Watcher will create GPX files by scraping the data of Geocaching.com pages, then the answer is such an emphatic *NO* that I may have just burst a lung. (I would love nothing more than to have the people who make applications that do that be permanently banned for making life a living snail run for everyone else... but at least I'm not opinionated. icon_wink.gif)

If you create a brand new PQ, you can often have it in something like 10 minutes. Not instantaneous, but fast. (And if you were asking about web services, well, those won't be out for a while yet, but once they are, perhaps Watcher *will* be able to actually query the GC.com database over the net. *That* would be nice... someday. icon_biggrin.gif)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

The primary reason I was asking is the delay (for me) is sometimes more than 10 hours! Even if I delete the old PQ's and create a new one (following the thread on this subject from Jerrimy) it still takes a long time.... anyways - just trying to explore newer ideas. I did d/l your app and will be checking it out tomrrow (at work of course).... icon_wink.gif