Finding Caches along a Route FOR BIKES

Hey,

I'd like to use the feature "Find Caches along a Route" but for BIKE!

Yet i only was able to make routes for cars, which included motorways and other bike-"unfriendly" stuff.

I tried googlemaps -> there it is possible to set an attriubte for bikes... but you (or i can't see it) can't save it as GPX, KMZ or KML File, which is required on the geocaching.com interface.

In Googleearth you can save such files... but here you can't find routes optimized for bike... horrible :(

Anyone else had to suffer from this, or even better managed to fix it?

Thanks for tips!

mmuuuuhh

This is where Programs like GSAK com in quite handy. You produce a PQ for the general area you'll be biking. Open the PQ in GSAK and take out all thh caches but those that fall along your proposed rout. You can use Garmin's Basecamp or Mapsource for this as well. There may even be an easier way then this. But it will likely need to be done in a similar way using an outside program to sort through a PQ to leave just the relevant caches behind.

I've done a number of these along converted rail lines. The idea is to create a track with the points close together so that when you do a caches along along a route query, you can keep the search radius low so you don't have a lot of extraneous off-path hits.

Go to http://www.gpsies.com/createTrack.do and use that tool. Move the map to the proper area and then click on the create line/track button on the top left. Then, just start clicking along the route you wish to take, keeping the points close together. (The route should contain no more than 500 points.) When you're finished, export the track as a gpx track.

Then, go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/userroutes.aspx#Content and upload load the track to your account. You can then create a pocket query from it.

Edited by New Jersey TJ