Trying to install custom maps to my Oregon 450t

jamescam

I'm very excited to have convinced the wife to let me get an Oregon 450t! Will this keep us from getting lost in the woods, she asked? Absolutely I assured her! Unfortunately, now I cant figure out how to add NW Maps to the device. I've done research and unfortunately the device comes with very little documentation. I've read about Map Source but have only found links to update. I downloaded the NW Trails files here http://www.switchbacks.com/nwtrails/ and it installs something, I just dont know what and my christmas like excitement has turned into frustration. Can anyone provide a quick lesson on how to add custom maps to my Garmin Oregon 450t? Thank you in advance for your help!

Well technically, in Garmin terms, maps like Northwest trails are not called "custom maps". They are just third party maps, but that's not too relevant, I am just clarifying a term.

You can send those maps to your gps using a couple different methods. You can use mapsource, basecamp, or mapinstall.

Mapsource can be obtained by first downloading and installing Garmin's Training Center then applying the Mapsource Update

Or Basecamp can be found here

Finally Mapinstall is found here.

If you have never done this yet, I recommend making a complete backup of all your gps files somewhere on your computer, in the event that you inadvertently delete something.

Personally I prefer to use mapsource, so my instructions below will be for that.

Basically....

-connect your oregon to your pc and ensure it is in mass storage mode

- start up mapsource

-make sure the mapset you want to install is selected in the drop down box at the top

-pan the map to where you want

-grab the tile select tool and highlight the regions you want in your mapset

-once you have selected the tiles you want click the 'send to gps' button

- point it to your oregon or the oregon sd card, whichever you prefer and hit ok

This will create a file called gmapsupp.img in the /garmin/ folder of the gps (or sd card if thats what you selected). Most newer garmins (your Oregon included) support anyname ".img" files, so it is a good idea to rename that file now to something identifiable like NWTrails.img

This will prevent the file from becoming overwritten the next time you decide to send a map to your gps, which will happen without a warning if you send another map to the same directory.

I hope that helps, if anything is confusing I would be glad to clarify.