lost maps need advice-garmin legend hcx

i have both a legend hcx and a nuvi 265wt.

the nuvi came with city nav 2010, i had bought city map 2009 cd and installed on my legend previously

i also trail ride, and had loaded ontario snowmobile trails free version onto my legend

now it is buggered...i thought it would just add the trails to my map, but it installed a whole new map and deleted my city nav

when i open mapsource, my available maps are

city navigator north america nt 2010.4

city navigator north america nt 2009

ontario snowmobile trails free 2009

i would like to reset my legend, and put back the city navigator nt 2009. did i mention i cannot find my original citynav 2009 cd anymore? I called garmin tech support, he had me do something that took 45 minutes with the legend connected to the computer, and nothing changed. when i turn on my legend it says unable to load maps, and only has the snowmobile map on it.

do you need the cd to reinstall it , or is the version on my computer not locked into it...i remember having to register it with the map when i initially bought it.

any help greatly appreciated

Don't actually have Garmin GPS here right now to test this, but it seems to me that MapSource should easily be able to transfer maps to your GPS, assuming it is capable of communicating with MapSource.

If you have a MapInstall icon in your Start Menu under Garmin, that might be the easiest way to go. If not, see below.

Pretty sure this is what I did to download an updated map to a Nuvi.

1. Run MapSource and select the map you want to transfer in the drop down box below the File menu.

2. Zoom out till you can see the full map, or at least as much as you want to transfer to the device.

3. Click and drag from one corner to the other diagonally. The Maps tab on the left should fill up with lots of place names. (Individual map segments.)

4. Click the button on the bottom to set a name for this map set.

5. Not sure if this is needed, but you could delete the snowmobile trail map on the Legend now.

6. Connect your Legend GPS and use Transfer|Send To Device.

Note that if the snowmobile trail map is formatted properly as an overlay, (or whatever it's called) you may be able to add it to the mapset with the City Navigator map before doing this step and have both installed and active at the same time. To do that, after doing step 3 you would change the map in the drop down box under the File menu to the snowmobile map and continue with step 3 for that map.

Edited by EdrickV
when i open mapsource, my available maps are

city navigator north america nt 2010.4

city navigator north america nt 2009

ontario snowmobile trails free 2009

Classic rookie mistake. You can NOT ADD maps, you must build a single map file with all the maps you want to view in ONE session.

Simply add as many map tiles from each title to to map list on the left, when finished, MapSource will build a single gmapsupp.img file and install it to your SD card. Install card, select which map set to view . . . happiness!!! :)

If Mthermit was correct, it would not have taken 45 minutes to load the maps on the GPS. It sounds like you sent both maps but City Navigator is not unlocked for that GPS. Was your message something like unable to unlock maps? Did you send CN 2009 or CN 2010? In MapSource, Contrl U will bring up the unlock status. What is it saying?

hey , I finally got it to work! i had tried the mapinstall function , and last nite (the fourth attempt) it finally transferred successfully. I left it running overnite, took almost 3 hours to complete. its exactly what i was attempting before, dont know why it never did it properly.

again, thanks for the help!