New to the hobby..

racerchaser

I'm on vacation so it's a great week to learn of this great hobby, I downloaded the GeoCache app to my Motorola Droid X. It seems to work really well I can get driving directions then a map to location then a compass to really break it down. My question is should I get a handheld GPS to help me with my new hobby? My Droid seems to bounce around a bit making me do a lot of walking in circles.

When caching there is often allot of walking in circles. A Hand held unit may be a little more stable but probably not by a whole lot. Just keep in mind no matter what consumer grade GPSr you get it won't land you directly on top of the cache. Once your within about 20 feet or so of GZ stop looking at the unit and start looking for possible hiding places.

I've got the X as well & yes, it does cause me to do the bumble bee dance. I've learned that after 2-5 minutes (depending on tree cover, etc...) it usually settles down & is almost as accurate as my Garmin Rhino. I typically just use my phone since it's always with me & it works fine.