POLL: Should locationless cache have an own symbol ?

Captain Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

id say yes, but more important is that theres no "good" way to search for a locationless.

Considering that by definition, locationless caches have no location, I'm assuming that you don't mean you want to search by city, state, zip, country etc. That wouldn't make any sense.

All that I can see that's left is to search by some kind of text, which you can already do. For example, if I click the 'Hide & Seek a cache' link, then type in 'historical marker' in the keyword search box, I get 7 caches that show up.

Now agreed, by looking at the icon type I can't tell the true virtual caches from the locationless caches (which afterall is the whole point of this vote icon_wink.gif), but by looking at the names I can get an idea of the virtuals. Like "Georgia Historical Markers" would probably be a locationless for the state of Georgia.

So what kind of search are you looking for?

Member:

banner-small.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team CacheCows of All that I can see that's left is to search by some kind of text, which you can already do. For example, if I click the 'Hide & Seek a cache' link, then type in 'historical marker' in the keyword search box, I get 7 caches that show up.

what i would like is a way to "search" for a locationless by whatever its "seeking". The hide and seek searchs threw all caches by title(?).

so to find a cache on the topic im seeking, i have to hope that the locationless has something related in the title. Then sort threw all the results.

Perhaps the search we have can be modified to return only specified types of caches.

whack.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team CacheCows of Wisconsin:

Considering that by definition, locationless caches have no location, I'm assuming that you don't mean you want to search by city, state, zip, country etc. That wouldn't make any sense.

It may not make any sense, but in order to run a Pocket Query you have to specify a location, even if the only cache type in the query is locationless. If you leave all the location choices blank, it will not accept your query.

To further complicate it, some of the choices are mutually exclusive. There are two separate lists for countries that have states or provinces and countries that don't (although Mexico, among others, is in the latter list when it should be in the former). So you can't select ALL countries to obtain a list of locationless caches, and you can't select NO countries.

The queries do narrow down their results based on your geographic criteria. Many locationless caches have latitude-longitude and/or country-state information. Anything you leave out, either by choice or by force, will not be a part of your result.

The reality is that there does need to be a more logical method of identifying and selecting locationless caches.