How do I ID inadvertently found discs?

TheGoldenMolar

So I am fairly new to geocaching and benchmarking and I am enjoying it greatly! To be honest I mostly just geocache and log any benchmarks I find along the way. That being said, I don't have any of the info on these benchmarks I run across and am trying to log. So the question is, How do I find the info on the benchmark discs that I have found? Most of them I have figured out by others logs but just today I found one that I am having no luck with. How do I figure out which it is?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

The Golden Molar (TGM)

One way would be to use the NGS Benchmark Viewer. Pick your state then navigate to the location (it accepts city names, zip codes, lat/lon coordinates,...). Icons will appear on the map for benchmarks that are in the NGS database - if they show up on the map there is a good chance you can log them at GC.com.

There is also a zip code and lat/lon search at gc.com.

Make sure you read thru this faq.

Just to be clear, the "NGS Benchmark Viewer" is the excellent work of a benchmarking hobbyist, not an official effort of the National Geodetic Survey. (The NGS has its own powerful search tools, but you may find them less user-friendly.)

Another way is to examine the stamping on the disk. Particularly if it is in the format of a one-word name (e.g., TROY or EDWARDSVILLE), or a single letter followed by a number (e.g. V 146 or B 147), that stamping will usually be the disk's official designation, and you can enter that term in the Geocaching.com search box.

Note that there are many additions and updates to the NGS dataset that do not appear in the data used by Geocaching.com, which uses a snapshot of NGS data that is now approaching a decade old. In particular, virtually any activity since about 2001 — including new disks and recovery reports — that is on the NGS datasheets will not be listed on the corresponding Geocaching.com page.

-ArtMan-

Benchmarking since August 2002