Saint John and Halifax gps data roaming question

LunaGeoCacher

Hi! We are new geocachers visiting these two cities for only one day each next month.

I have an older garmin etrex that I use to pinpoint what coordinates I am at, but mostly I enjoy the GC app on my iPhone for most of the information, navigating, photos, etc. Especially hints!

I was imagining I would have to avoid using the phone entirely in Canada because of the expensive data rate.

Any ideas? I was thinking I would print out sheafs of paper for each cache we would try to find, and then try to program the etrex to each of those points. Even getting a decent fold out map of the two cities would probably help in planning.

But could I possibly rent a better gps while I am there? Maybe I can turn on the iPhone only at the last moments when I am stuck (and just eat the data $), or is there a better solution? Buying a better gps with map capabilities is an expensive option for only the two days.

Thanks and looking forward to visiting your country!

Hi! We are new geocachers visiting these two cities for only one day each next month.

I have an older garmin etrex that I use to pinpoint what coordinates I am at, but mostly I enjoy the GC app on my iPhone for most of the information, navigating, photos, etc. Especially hints!

I was imagining I would have to avoid using the phone entirely in Canada because of the expensive data rate.

Any ideas? I was thinking I would print out sheafs of paper for each cache we would try to find, and then try to program the etrex to each of those points. Even getting a decent fold out map of the two cities would probably help in planning.

But could I possibly rent a better gps while I am there? Maybe I can turn on the iPhone only at the last moments when I am stuck (and just eat the data $), or is there a better solution? Buying a better gps with map capabilities is an expensive option for only the two days.

If you're on iOS4, just turn off Data Roaming in Settings -> General -> Network

The GPS chip still functions with data roaming turned off.

You can use the official Geocaching app, or Geosphere and find a WiFi hotspot to download PQs / cache maps.

Just using a 3GS, so I don't think I have "real" GPS (right?).

If I download the PQs at home (while I have wifi), then turn off data when I get to Canada, is the cache data (description, hints, photos, etc.) cached? How about the map? I figured without data up/downloads I couldn't get anything (?)

Thank you for this help!

Just using a 3GS, so I don't think I have "real" GPS (right?).

If I download the PQs at home (while I have wifi), then turn off data when I get to Canada, is the cache data (description, hints, photos, etc.) cached? How about the map? I figured without data up/downloads I couldn't get anything (?)

Thank you for this help!

3GS has a "real" GPS chip I believe but it's not quite as good as the one in the iPhone 4. You can test that by turning off Cellular Data at home and trying it out.

As for caching cache data - using the official app, download a Pocket Query and you get description, hints, logs but not photos. If you use Geosphere with a Pocket Query on WiFi you can cache photos too. Maps can be cached by both the official app (bit cumbersome) and Geosphere, or you can load up something like GPS MotionX.

It certainly is *easier* to get a map with a data connection.

FYI AT&T just lowered their international roaming rates for data, so if you're willing to throw a bit of money at the problem it can go away. I'd still turn off things like push notifications and podcast downloads to save bandwidth though. Here's what changed:

50MB package for $24.99/month compared to the current 20MB package for $24.99/month

125MB package for $49.99/month compared to the current 50MB package for $59.99/month

275MB package for $99.99/month compared to the current 100MB package for $119.99/month

800MB package for $199.99/month compared to the current 200MB package for $199.99/month

Very interesting. I will investigate these options. I just called AT&T and got those old prices yesterday afternoon. Did the price go down this morning? You are right that that could be the best option at those prices. Thanks!

That article was posted late yesterday so yes, very likely the AT&T Customer Service reps are still learning about it this morning.

If you use GSAK, you can tweak it to enter hints into the notes section of your ETREX. It's not ideal, but it will work. Also, you can, as somoene else mentioned, load the PQ and use the gps offline. Finally, you can call your provider and get a roaming plan for one month. We're traveling to the US next month and that's our plan - for $10 I can get a data plan for 30 days that gives me a MB for $1. Those are two great cities for visiting and for caching - have fun!!