magellan explorist 210

xjcj3a

i recently bought an explorist 210 as my first gps unit. im noticing it isnt very accurate. im wondering if anyone knows of a way to better calibrate? not sure what else i can do, says im picking up 12 sats at any one time and still only accurate to within about 30 feet. thoughts? thanks for any help.

Thats as good as it gets. Consumer grade units are not made to get you within inches. When you find a cache and your unit still shows your about 30 feet away then thats pretty good. Think about this. The CO's unit may have been about 15 feet off and if your unit is about 15 feet off then when you find the cache your unit could be showing +/- 30 feet from the cache. So as you get within 30 feet of GZ stop looking at your unit and start searching for the cache.

Thats as good as it gets. Consumer grade units are not made to get you within inches. When you find a cache and your unit still shows your about 30 feet away then thats pretty good. Think about this. The CO's unit may have been about 15 feet off and if your unit is about 15 feet off then when you find the cache your unit could be showing +/- 30 feet from the cache. So as you get within 30 feet of GZ stop looking at your unit and start searching for the cache.

Thank you for the insight. I was using triangulation units in the late 80's in the Marines and they were off by around 100 yards. I found your statements to be accurate. Just started this geocaching with a friend in the last month and use a Explorist 210, it was cheap and works good for the money.

any other insights on the 210?

Thank you for the insight. I was using triangulation units in the late 80's in the Marines and they were off by around 100 yards. I found your statements to be accurate. Just started this geocaching with a friend in the last month and use a Explorist 210, it was cheap and works good for the money.

any other insights on the 210?

I used a e210 for a couple of years, found about 350 caches with it. By far it's weakest point is the data cable. It WILL go bad, so I recommend just going ahead and buying a spare so you won't be sidelined when it happens. I went through 4 of them, the last 3 being treated ever-so-gently. That's actually the main reason I bought my current DeLorme and gave the e210 to a friend. That and the annoying screw-in mount for the data cable. Oy!

I found accuracy to be very good - usually. There are so many variables that pretty much any civilian-recreational-use GPSr is going to have good days and bad days.

Hope this helps!