new Magellan Explorist gc

Januarytwin1

Just bought this today and taking it back tomorrow. Cannot get anything to download to it. Says I need a Magellan plug in but there is nowhere I can find that has one to download. The booklet in the box does not give any contact information. If there is a Magellan web site, I cannot find it. What unit should I buy?

Here is the web site.

http://www.magellangps.com/

There are known issues with the plug in but there are better ways to get caches loaded to the unit then going one at a time with the Send to GPS button.

On the cache search page you'll see a check all and download waypoints button at the bottom of the page. This allows you to download all 20 caches listed on the page to your PC in a .loc Format. Then all you need to do is plug the GC into you PC and drop the .loc file into the Geocaching folder on the unit.

An even better option would be to pay for the Premium Membership. Allowing you access to Pocket Queries where you have more control of your cache search and can download up to 1000 caches in a single file that is then dropped into the folder as mentioned above. Further more the PQ contains all the descriptions, hints and recent log for those cache. Making that info available to you while out caching.

I did finally find the website itself. the instructions on what to download are in error...there is no links to the needed software. I already knew about using the cache search page but cannot even download 1 at a time anyways. I am taking this piece of crap back. Probably will just pursue other hobbies. I cannot believe you pay nearly $200 for something that has no support or correct instructions. What kills me is Magellan is supposedly the sponsor of this web site. Ouch

Many have problems the first time they use a Magellan; many have trouble the first time they use Garmin; likewise with Delorme and Lowrance..... Do you see a pattern here?

Not trying to talk you from returning it, but today's "instructional manuals" are lacking in just about anything that you buy -- electronic devices lead the pack with that problem.

As much as that first line indicates something bad, a nearly identical statement would tell you that many love their unit, regardless of make.

It is mostly a matter of getting to know it, and what YOU need to do to be able to use it to its' full potential. Premium Membership allows creation of Pocket Queries and the ability with use that search technique to load up to 1,000 geocaches at a single shot. Also, the PQ utilizes a GPX file, which generally supplies a lot more info than a LOC file (what you get when you load from the cache page).

Again, it is a matter of understanding and knowing what/how to do it!

EDIT: spelling

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee