faster GPS?

We recently lost our Garmin 60CSx GPS, so need to get a new one. Although we liked this model a lot, the one thing that annoyed us was how slow it was to "recalculate" when we were driving. Often we were passed the point where we were supposed to make a turn.

Any advice on a new GPS? We'd like to stick around $300.

We recently lost our Garmin 60CSx GPS, so need to get a new one. Although we liked this model a lot, the one thing that annoyed us was how slow it was to "recalculate" when we were driving. Often we were passed the point where we were supposed to make a turn.

A question like that would probably be best answered over in the GPS and Tech forum where the true GPS geeks hang out. Sorry to hear about your 60CSx. It will be a sad day when I lose mine.

I have owned 7 GPS units, a Blackberry and now an ATRIX 4G Android phone. The 60CSx was the best of the lot, I rue the day I sold it, and I will be buying another.

As far as it being slow recalculating, I never had that problem.

There is a setting which allows you to define how far off route you can go before it recalculates, try reducing that distance.

There is another setting that determines how far ahead of a turn you are notified, try increasing that setting so you are more prepared before you get to the turn.

The 60CSX is a hand-held, and although it can do driving, it is really meant for being used on foot.

I've often seen people unhappy about a GPS's performance when they want it to do something it was not meant to do.

Usually people try to use car GPSr's for geocaching, rather than the other way around.

You might try getting a car GPS for your car.

The 60CSX is a hand-held, and although it can do driving, it is really meant for being used on foot.

I've often seen people unhappy about a GPS's performance when they want it to do something it was not meant to do.

Usually people try to use car GPSr's for geocaching, rather than the other way around.

You might try getting a car GPS for your car.

My 60CSx in a suction-cup windshield mount would outperform any car GPS I have used, and that's a fairly high number. When you get out of the car grab it from the mount and you're on the way to the cache with no interruption. Best of both worlds.

You can get a 12v lighter plug cable with a speaker built in for car navigation to get spoken turn-by-turn directions. We used one with the speaker in the van for our record run and five of the eight team members used the 60CSx.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Thanks for the help. We just bought a Garmin 60st on Amazon, as the reviews were really interesting. Also, looks like it'll fit on the bicycle attachment we had for the 60 CSX.

Thanks for the advice on the range setting speeding up the "calculating" feature. Didn't know that.

I have owned 7 GPS units, a Blackberry and now an ATRIX 4G Android phone. The 60CSx was the best of the lot, I rue the day I sold it, and I will be buying another.

As far as it being slow recalculating, I never had that problem.

There is a setting which allows you to define how far off route you can go before it recalculates, try reducing that distance.

There is another setting that determines how far ahead of a turn you are notified, try increasing that setting so you are more prepared before you get to the turn.

The slow recalculation may be because a good geocaching GPS is not always a good driving-directions GPS. My recommendation would be to spend $50 to $100 on a TomTom or Nuvi for the car, and the rest of your budget on a replacement for the 60CSx.