Tick box 'Collectable' or not?

SunRayDuo

Have my first travel bug so please forgive newbie question.

Do I tick the box make TB/coin 'collectable' when activating or not? At first glance I thought this might invite people to collect and keep a TB or coin and add it to their own collection!

Or does it simply request people to collect the TB/coin from a cache and kindly pass it on to the next cache?

And why should anyone wish to make it non-collectable anyway?

Thanks for help.

If you intend for your trackable to travel, moving from cache to cache, you mark it Not Collectible. (Leave the checkbox un-checked).

If you intend to keep your trackable activated but in your own private collection (i.e. not travelling in the wild) mark the item as Collectible. If you take it to events to show it to people they will have only the options to 'discover it' or 'write note'.

(You're not the first person to be confused by what 'Collectible' means.)

MrsB

MrsB nicely covered the two most common situations -

1. marked non-collectible, set free

2. marked collectible, kept

just for completeness, here are the other two, lesser-used combos -

3. marked collectible, set free

every so often, someone will set an item free, and allow somebody else to keep it

typically, this would be a personal geocoin

but as long as the feature is available, I would not rule out other motives

this is probably a very rare situation

4. marked non-collectible, kept

if the owner wants to "dip" the item into geocaches, this would be the best status

items in a collection can only be discovered or have notes posted

it is worth noting that putting an item that you plan to keep into your collection keeps it from showing up on your inventory when you log a geocache, thus saving you from having to wade through them when you want to drop off a travelling item

I just read through my post, and realized that there is something missing

a trackable must be moved between "inventory" and "collection"

(and vice-versa)

so, you can have an item that is marked "collectible" in your inventory, but it will still act as though it is "non-collectible" - for example, someone could grab it from you

in order to gain the protection of the "collection" status, you must move it from your inventory into your collection

similarly, a released item that is collectible will move just like a non-collectible item, until somebody retrieves it (or grabs it) into their inventory, and then moves it from their inventory into their collection