Pocket Query/LOC file/EasyGPS/Cache owner question.

Zahrim

Ok, I ask this question here because it involves several other points of view, and I feel this is the best place to address it for now.

When I get the zip file from my Pocket Query, it has a cache in it that I have found out with much trial and error is causing a problem.

When you get a loc file from a Pocket Query, or just from the cache page itself, the EasyGPS program takes the name of the Cache and try's to make it into a comment for the comment field.

So far, fine and dandy. When I do a state search, and download all 25 caches into a LOC file, I have no problem most of the time.

This one cache does mess it all up, and after MUCH testing, I have found out what cache is the root of my trouble....

There is a cache with a % sign in it's name. Well, EasyGPS does not let that get into the comments field, so it crashes my system.

I guess my question is this. Who should I talk to to fix this? The cache owner, asking him to rename his cache, EasyGPS asking them to kill the name to comment thing, or an admin of GeoCaching.com asking them to rename the cache by force?

Zahrim....

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night.

Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I have 3 other Pocket Queries set up, and they have no trouble at all, so, I am left to the point of view that this one cache is killing my Pocket Query.

Zahrim....

I'm guessing you're talking about 95% nice view

I just tried saving it to a LOC file, and loading it into ExpertGPS version 1.1.3b1. No problem. You should make sure you have the latest version of EasyGPS, or upgrade to ExpertGPS (the mapping features are worth it!)

Other than that, I would send an email to the cache owner, politely stating the problem, and asking him to change the name. Perhaps to '95 percent nice view'

I would also send an email to the author of EasyGPS, as I think this is a bug. The name to comment feature is a Good Thing, but the crashing when there's a % is a bug.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Lil Devil:

I'm guessing you're talking about http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=8444

I just tried saving it to a LOC file, and loading it into ExpertGPS version 1.1.3b1. No problem. You should make sure you have the latest version of EasyGPS, or upgrade to ExpertGPS (the mapping features are worth it!)

Other than that, I would send an email to the cache owner, politely stating the problem, and asking him to change the name. Perhaps to '95 percent nice view'

I would also send an email to the author of EasyGPS, as I think this is a bug. The name to comment feature is a Good Thing, but the crashing when there's a % is a bug.

Lil Devil http://www.trailbikesportsmen.org/images/lildevil.gif

Well, I just downloaded the trial version of ExpertGPS, it is version 1.1.1, and the % sign still crashes the program. Maybe it has been fixed in the beta version you are using.

Zahrim....