Garmin Dakota 20 GPS

oceanprime

Hey everyone, I am still knew to this but was considering buying a GPS. I have been using the app on my phone which has been working pretty well so far but If I go out of the country, which I am considering, would not want to pass up the opportunity on logging a found(hopefully) cache somewhere besides the U.S.. My phone only works in the U.S. and I am assuming the GPS would work anywhere.

I looked at this model and it seems to be pretty decent. Would love any input about this one from fellow cache-rs if you are familiar with it.

Thanks so much.

I use a Dakota 20 and absolutely love it! Also, don't get the Dakota 10, the extra price for the 20 is worth it for the electronic compass, which is very useful. Here are some of the things I like about it:

-The size is nice, it fits in the hand comfortably and when hanging from your neck, it's not TOO heavy

-The touch screen is nice and intuitive to use

-It's completely waterproof, making stress-free caching in the rain. It supposedly floats, if you manage to drop it in water

-Like I mentioned, the electronic compass is very useful, and responsive

-Very accurate GPS antenna, I often get +/- 3M with it

-Good battery life, I use rechargable batteries and one charge lasts me several sessions of 6+ hours each

-Easy to hook up to the computer using usb cable, to load your pocket queries

-Paperless geocaching, you can look up the description, hint, logs, difficulty, etc. on the fly

-Cool stats features like elevation, barometric pressure, sunrise/sunset, etc.

-Slot for micro SD card, to store topo maps and extra stuff like your geocaching photos, pocket queries, gpx files, or other misc things

-Easy navigation, you can set it to give directions to the cache, or other point of interest you wish, and have it navigate by road. It even beeps when there is a turn, and does different tones for right and left, so you don't even have to look at the unit to know which way to turn

-More things I am forgetting, but I am very pleased with it

I switched from a Legend Cx to the Dakota 20 last year. Got it on Black Friday, then saw the Oregon 450 two days later for only $25 more. Contemplated going with the Oregon, but stuck with the D20. I do like it, for many of the same reasons noted by Vexidus (but I don't think it floats and am not about to test that out). But, there are a couple of features on the Legend that I wish had been added to the Dakota, like ability to delete caches on the unit instead of hooking up to the pc. Also, it seems easier to change coordinates on the Legend--one step vs what seems like several on the 20. I also like the way the map works on the Legend, even though it's a bit smaller. For that reason, I bought a bike mount for the Legend and use it while just biking around. With 28,000 miles on the Legend, I'm not about to part with it--i's like a dear friend. Plus, I put caches on it still for out-of-the-way places. It will be interesting to see what the new etrex series is like. Overall, though, think you would be happy with the 20. I'd suggest going to a store that sells them and see what you think.