eXplorist GC won't start up

Hello everyone. Sorry if this has been posted before - a quick search didn't show any threads that talked of my particular issue. I just bought an eXplorist GC. Took it out of the box, put the batteries in and powered it on. The "Magellan" logo came on and it hung there. For hours. Overnight even. Never progressed past that. It was right next to a window so if it was looking for sats it should have not had a problem. I wanted to post this issue to the explorist forum but I'm still waiting for my account to be approved by a moderator. I'm hoping to use the GPS this weekend on a family trip. Any suggestions? Should I connect it to my PC and update the firmware? I'm not even sure what version it shipped with. The included manual is pathetic, and even the PDF manual doesn't describe the initial startup process. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rich.

I am thinking of getting an explorist gc. I have heard a lot of good things about it and a few bad things such as this and the lack of an electronic compass. The one I found was only 95 dollars! I can't decide if I should just buy it and try it because its cheap or if I should get the dakota 20 that I found for 215 dollars (a little too much for me). What I really like about the gc is that it can hold 10,000 caches!!!! Way better than 1,000 with the dakota. Especially when I am going on a really long road trip and I need all the caches I can get onto the gps. Sorry to go Off Topic on your thread, but...

oh...there is a manual you can download somewhere on the internet.

Um...this could be the link:

http://www.retrevo.com/support/Magellan-GC-GPS-manual/id/23655ag921/t/2/

Found this using google:

To reset the eXplorist GC, open the USB cover, insert the end of a paperclip into the small reset hole, and the eXplorist GC should reset and re-start.

Also found this thread right here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264159

Sounds like you should update your firmware.

To get into developer mode:

http://www.exploristforum.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=62&func=view&catid=13&id=345

Edited by Chrysalides

Thanks for the suggestions. Sadly nothing worked. Can't access developer mode and the 1.6 firmware update fails because my computer doesn't see the GPS (driver is installed). Someone on the explorist forum said I need to return it. Ugh. That's life I suppose - will have to use the iPhone a little longer...