Geocaching kit turned survival kit

So I recently went through my geocaching kit, to make an itemized list of everything that's in there so I can respond to the occasional topic that comes up about what's in your cache kit (much like this topic, but modified a bit). I soon realized that what was once a strictly geocaching kit has ballooned into my all out camping survival kit. SO... post what you (as far as you can recall) started with in your caching kit, and what it's now become. I'll start:

Originally:

Digital Camera + case

Palm pilot (paperless caching - cachemate = awesome)

Garmin GPSMap 60Cx

2 spare AA batteries

Pen

Notepad

Swag

Signature items

Currently:

digital Camera + case

Palm pilot

GPS

4 x spare AA batteries

Carbiner x 2 (actual rock-climbing ones, not the crappy ones)

Nylon strap w/buckle to kinda attack it to my waste as well as the shoulder strap - easier to jog/run/bike with

Pencil

Fischer space pen

Mechanical pencil (can never have enough writing instruments... useful when group caching)

Pad of waterproof paper

Multitool

Chapstick

Mag lite mini (the 2xAA type)

Swedish firesteel

Compass

Silver survival blanket thing

Folding knife

About 8 feet of camo duct tape

First aid kit - usual first aid kit stuff inside

About 15 feet of twine

About 2 feet of 18 gauge stainless steel wire

Lighter

2 spare ziplock bags for caches

String

Head lamp

Spare mini-pencils for caches

Spare mini logbooks for caches

Pencil sharpener

Pair of thin cotton gloves

Bandanna (excellent to avoid the sun baking my head too long)

Binoculars

Emergency whistle

18 feet of parachute cord (in the form of a Survival Straps bracelet... I wear one on my at all times as well)

Signature items

Swag

After some re-arranging, I surprisingly still have a bit of room left in there. I was thinking of adding either some water purification tablets (no clue how good those things work though, or if it's mainly a scam and I should just boil water instead), and some kind of emergency food supply (like a few of those energy gel packets), but I'd want it to have like... no expiration date for years and years, since I don't want to have to replace it every 6 months or something stupid. Any suggestions for that, or what I might add to a survival kit?

Note: This conversion kinda took place because this also became my camping/hiking/general outdoors kit as well. I don't have any decent pictures of the page, but this image shows it's size compared to me... it's obviously the lump hanging at my side, so it's not gargantuanly big either.

Edited by Kabuthunk

From day one when i decided i preferred to do some hiking to get at caches i've packed my caching bad for emergencies. Some of the basics for finding caches in the woods go hand in hand with basic survival tools. Flashlight is always a good thing to have in your pack to see into those dark crevices. Likewise its good to have a pair of work gloves to reach into those holes. I keep trash bags with me for CITO opportunities. These also double as emergency ponchos and shelter. A good knife is handy to have. I've used mine several times while caching. While on a marked trail i come across fallen trees and limbs blocking the path. So my folding saw comes in handy to clear the path. It also came in handy the other day when a cache fell into a 6 foot tall hollowed out stump as i was trying to place it back where it belonged. There was an opening near the bottom mostly blocked by rotted wood. So i sawed out enough of it that i could reach in and grab the cache. Course its always good to have a basic first aid kit on hand. Then you never know when 50 to 80 feet of para-cord can come in handy.

If you have a penchant for the more esoteric, off the beaten track caches you might consider a SPOT personal tracker. This gizmo sends out a HELP or 911 message by satellite so it will work virtually anywhere, where cell phones don't have signal. You can also send out a "I'm OK" message when your quest has been accomplished. In addition to the gizmo you have to subscribe. The basic plan is about $100/yr which is cheap insurance. The basic plan will send out a e-mail message to 10 addresses and/or call local 911 emergency services with your GPS location. There are additional features, which of course cost $, such as insurance for search and rescue costs and calling a tow truck (you need an I phone for this one).

Edited by Geodalf

It depends on where you are going geocaching and what conditions you are trying to survive. Have you heard of the rule of threes? You can survive 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.

So unless you are stuck in the woods for quite a while, you don't NEED a lot of food to survive, but if you're out overnight a granola bar or candy bar will make you feel better.

If I were you I'd add water purification. I carry some Micropur tablets in my first aid kit all the time. It doesn't take long to become dehydrated in hot weather, I saw a guy pass out after a couple hours of hiking because he wasn't drinking. Iodine tablets work well too but taste bad (the taste can be covered up with a drink mix with citric acid). Your local EMS or similar store can guide you. Make sure you have a Nalgene too.

I would also recommend something like pepper spray. You never know when you encounter the occasional bear, cougar, fox, ect. Or an occasional aggressive homeless man. Anything citrusy like lemon, lime, or orange juice might work. Just make sure it's pure an not you usual store brand. A good spray in the eyes would work.