Loading caches - Garmin etrex Legend H

OK gang - Hoping someone can help me out.

I have been asked to put together a small Geocaching exhibit for a local elementary school's outdoor "Tech Trek" tomorrow. I'm going to hide 3 ammo cans around the school grounds for the kids to find tomorrow. The teachers got their hands on 19 Garmin etrex Legend H GPSrs and I finally got them from the school last night. I created 3 "dummy" cache pages for the event with the hopes that I could just download the coords directly to the receivers instead of manually plugging them in one by one. These caches will never be published and I will be archiving the cache pages once the event is over having never asked a reviewer to look at them since they violate several GC rules including temporary caches, caches placed on school grounds and proximity issues. These are just meant to be "practice" caches for the event.

So I attempted to download the first set to the first receiver today and NOTHING. My computer is saying the Geocache GPX was saved successfully but when I look for the cache in the queue on the receiver there is nothing. I tried to load an existing cache and it worked perfectly.

My question: Is there a way to download the coords to these receivers from the cache pages? Or is it something that I have to do manually? I don't need the entire cache page to be on the GPSr...just the coords.

Thanks in advance,

Team Dennis

Edited by Team Dennis

I just checked and I was able to download the files for the unpublished (temporary) caches to my Garmin Colorado 300 which is my primary (only) GPSr and they appear like any other cache.

I also checked and I was able to download a cache (to the etrex) that I archived yesterday. However, I was unable to download a cache that was never published for a similar event I did last year.

So...any thoughts? I'm getting the feeling that I'll be plugging these coords in manually tonight...

I assume you have all the caches in your primary unit? If thats the case then download EasyGPS. You'll be able to pull the cache info off your old unit and upload it to all the eTrex. At worst you'll plug the info into one unit so you can transfer that info to EasyGPS then swap out units and start downloading them to the other units.

I'll give EasyGPS a shot. But in the meantime my original question still stands: Why can I download these GPX files for tomorrow's event to my Colorado 300 and download active and archived caches to the etrex but I can't download the GPX files for the event tomorrow to the etrex?

OK gang - Hoping someone can help me out.

So I attempted to download the first set to the first receiver today and NOTHING. My computer is saying the Geocache GPX was saved successfully but when I look for the cache in the queue on the receiver there is nothing. I tried to load an existing cache and it worked perfectly.

Team Dennis

So how far away are these make believe caches from your present location? Are they more than 50 miles? If so try searching for them on the gps by name and not the closes 50.

Thanks for all the help on this one. I'm by far not the most tech savvy person out there. But by the grace of God, your suggestions and a with little luck I was able to make it all work.

This all brings me back to 2 years ago when I started caching. Kind of a steep learning curve for a guy that never owned a GPSr before.

Now where is that beer?

Thanks again,

Team Dennis

So how far away are these make believe caches from your present location? Are they more than 50 miles? If so try searching for them on the gps by name and not the closes 50.

Funny story about that: The caches are less than 50 miles from my house but I'm doing all the work in my basement so the GPSrs think they are still down in La Crosse which is where they came from originally. So that is why the caches were not showing up in the queue.

It turns out I did NOT need EasyGPS after all but I've been using it as it is faster than downloading from the cache page itself.

Edit to add: Seriously - Where is that beer?

Edited by Team Dennis