Mac using newbie - Garmin eTrex HC or Magellan eXplorist GC

I am a newbie cacher, have just used my iphone 3GS for my first few caches. I got a Magellan eXplorist CG for my birthday and am messing around trying to load it, trying to sort out all the features that come with each. I'd rather have a seamless computer to device interface than all the steps I'm having to do to get the files onto the Magellan and I'm wondering if I should just get the Garmin instead. It seems like the Magellan has some nice features though and I don't know that the Garmin has those, I also don't understand how the Garmin can be non-paperless. Is that just if you don't have a premium membership? Thanks!!

The eTrex HC, like I said, I'm a newbie, I feel like the simplicity of the GC is more my speed, but I can't figure out how to get the caches onto it. When I hit the send to GPS button a little popup appears to install a Magellan communicator for PC or Mac, I install it, and then nothing happens. There's a check device button and a download button but I can't click them.

On this strand, I am a Mac user and have a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx and I can't for the life of me get the communicator plug in to work. When the website comes up and does its "test" it says it still cannot see the device. The GPS shows that it's plugged in but it doesn't register on the computer as another device. Any help? I feel like I've been downloading Mac apps for three hours to no avail.