PICTURES ON THE SITE

eaglescout

Yes, you will need permission, at least in the United States. Some people just take and post snapshots, but others such as myself take photography pretty seriously and put a lot of time, effort and money into it. I'd be pretty mad if someone used one of my photos without permission and might even consider some legal action just to prove the point. On the other hand, if someone wanted to use one of my photos to illustrate a newspaper article on Geocaching and asked politely, I'd almost certainly give permission to use it for free with the simple requirement that I get a copy of the article when it's published. And as T-storm said, I might have a much better copy than what is on geocaching.com (I often times scan 35mm 4"x6" prints at 600 dpi - try finding a digicam with that kind of resolution. ;-)

What about the pitures from cache camera's? They were taken by a visiting cacher with the camera you supplied at your site. They did take that picture so what happens then. The cache owner may develope it and even scan and send the pic's to the owner... so what do people feel should happen then? Does maby the Geocaching site own them? What do you think?

I'm no lawyer to nit-pick at these things, but I'd say that the people taking/appearing in cache cam images can be reasonably assumed to have understood that the cache, the camera, and the resulting images belong to the cache placer. By taking their picture on a cache cam and replacing the camera in the cache, they have given tacit permission for the pictures to appear as a part of the cache listing. If you wish to use cache cam pics along with your article, I would still suggest that you get permission from the cache owner and also from the people appearing in the photo. If they can't be identified, then choose a different picture. You might do as well to go on a cache hunt, take lots of pics, and have your own stuff to offer so that you avoid these issues?

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

I'm again in agreement with T-storm. icon_biggrin.gif Consent to use the photos on geocaching.com is implied when the cache visitor takes their own picture, however, it would be best to ask permission when using the picture elsewhere.

My own experience as an amateur photographer, taking photos for Radio Controlled soaring publications (mainly non-profit club newsletters) has been that virtually everyone is happy to have their photo taken and published, and I have respect for anyone that chooses not to. I bet if you emailed a couple of local geocachers you could set up a cache hunt. It could even be a cache they've already found, or even just take a box along to "fake" a cache. Snap snap, you've got your pictures and your permission, and likely made some new geocaching friends in the process.

Another unsolicited tip (just ignore if you want): when I'm taking photos to use photos for some purpose, I always shoot about double the number of photos I think I really need. In a set of 24, I usually find one or two really stellar shots where everything is just perfect, a few great to excellent pics, and the rest are sort of middle of the road -- good enough to illustrate a point, but nothing I'm really proud of. It's not so much a matter of simple mistakes (I'm past that point) it's a matter subject and lighting and composition as well. This is particularly true when using live subjects. It may sound like "work", but it's really fun to do it well.

I once was flying a model plane on a cliff over the ocean and the sunset was beautiful. The waves were gold tipped. I'd made friends earlier with a guy I had met that day - turns out he owned the same brand of camera I did. My camera had a fresh roll of film. I handed the camera over and encouraged him to use the entire roll. Out of about 18 pictures of essentially the same thing, 2 of the frames stand out as much better than the rest.

-- Scott