Needs Maintenance

Don_J

Sorry O Finned One, but I'm siding with Saxy on this.

It IS ABSOLUTELY the cache owner's responsibility to maintain their cache listing.

You are wrong. It's not a matter of opinion; it is a matter of fact. Maintaining the list of trackables in a cache listing is not the responsibility of the cache owner in any way.

Then why does the cache owner have the power to mark bugs as missing? Your opinion is wrong, and so are your facts. ;)

I'm also going to agree with Fizzy on this. CO's should mark trackables as missing as a courtesy to other cachers and keep their inventory as accurate as possible, but it isn't and shouldn't be a requirement.

If you're adamant that this is a requirement, would you then agree that caches should be archived if an owner doesn't "maintain" the listing by marking TB's missing?

As the OP I'll offer this.

I do not think that it is the CO's responsibility to maintain the trackable inventory on their cache page. I agree with the idea that they did not put it there in the first place, so why should it be their responsibility?

As a responsible cache owner, I monitor all logs through email. They all are sorted into a sub-folder and if some thing seems out of the ordinary, such as a DNF, NM, or bug missing, I mark it as read but leave it in the folder. If it becomes obvious over time that the bug is probably missing, I will mark it as such. I will then follow up with a note on the bug page. If five of my local cachers tell me that a bug, in my cache five miles up a mountain trail is missing, I do not need to take a ten mile hike to believe them.

A NM log on a cache because a bug is missing is abuse.

Now, I have often read references to people pointing and laughing at other people behind their back at events because of past questionable actions by the cacher. I have never seen this and I really hope it is just a forum thing and doesn't really happen in real life. If someone were to post a NA because the trackable inventory wasn't correct, I just might engage in such activity.

Ultimately it is the responsibility of the traveler owner but that doesn't mean no one else shares in that responsibility. Everyone who picks up the bug has the responsibility to correctly log its whereabouts. Cache owners have the responsibility to keep their listings accurate. If the lid on your cache went missing wouldn't you have the responsibility to note that on the cache page? Yes you would, by marking the cache as disabled until you could go fix it. Same thing with a bug - the cache owner (or bug owner) marks it missing. If it turns up again it will get logged.

Ah, so if there is a question about the bug inventory I should mark my cache unavailable until I have time to go out and count the bugs? I don't think so. It simply is not my responsibility to maintain the bug list. And how do I handle someone dropping a bug into my cache without logging the drop? OMG! The bug list is wrong! There is a bug in the cache that is not on the inventory list! The only way to deal with that problem is go out and check my cache after each log. Ain't going to happen. And how do I handle the case where some one finds my cache, signs the log, drops a bug, but doesn't log online the find or bug drop for a year or so? Are you saying I need to make a sweep of my caches several times a week just to make sure the bug inventory is correct? News flash! Ain't going to happen. I will mark a bug missing as a convenience to my fellow cachers but it is not my responsibility to maintain the list.

Oh, so if someone reports your cache lid is missing, you'd go out and check before disabling the cache? Not likely. You'd probably disable it, then go out and check on it, probably bringing a new container with you.

With a bug it's even easier. If someone reports the bug is not in the cache you can mark it missing without even having to check on the cache. If that bug turns up later it will be logged so it's no longer missing.

Besides, this isn't about "OMG! The bug someone dropped here yesterday isn't in the cache" it's about "The last 15 logs say there are no travelbugs in the cache so why doesn't the owner mark them as missing?

Sorry O Finned One, but I'm siding with Saxy on this.

It IS ABSOLUTELY the cache owner's responsibility to maintain their cache listing.

You are wrong. It's not a matter of opinion; it is a matter of fact. Maintaining the list of trackables in a cache listing is not the responsibility of the cache owner in any way.

Then why does the cache owner have the power to mark bugs as missing? Your opinion is wrong, and so are your facts. ;)

I'm also going to agree with Fizzy on this. CO's should mark trackables as missing as a courtesy to other cachers and keep their inventory as accurate as possible, but it isn't and shouldn't be a requirement.

If you're adamant that this is a requirement, would you then agree that caches should be archived if an owner doesn't "maintain" the listing by marking TB's missing?

Show me where I said it was a requirement. Saying that maintaining the cache is the responsibility of the cache owner is not the same as saying cache owners are required to keep track of travelbugs in their cache.

With a bug it's even easier. If someone reports the bug is not in the cache you can mark it missing without even having to check on the cache. If that bug turns up later it will be logged so it's no longer missing.

+1

There is no need to wait for 5 logs, or go check on it. "Mark as missing" does not mean "condemn this TB to oblivion forever and ever amen." It just means it's not in that cache any more, and it must be somewhere else now. Assuming matter is not created or destroyed in this universe.

Ultimately it is the responsibility of the traveler owner but that doesn't mean no one else shares in that responsibility. Everyone who picks up the bug has the responsibility to correctly log its whereabouts. Cache owners have the responsibility to keep their listings accurate. If the lid on your cache went missing wouldn't you have the responsibility to note that on the cache page? Yes you would, by marking the cache as disabled until you could go fix it. Same thing with a bug - the cache owner (or bug owner) marks it missing. If it turns up again it will get logged.

Ah, so if there is a question about the bug inventory I should mark my cache unavailable until I have time to go out and count the bugs? I don't think so. It simply is not my responsibility to maintain the bug list. And how do I handle someone dropping a bug into my cache without logging the drop? OMG! The bug list is wrong! There is a bug in the cache that is not on the inventory list! The only way to deal with that problem is go out and check my cache after each log. Ain't going to happen. And how do I handle the case where some one finds my cache, signs the log, drops a bug, but doesn't log online the find or bug drop for a year or so? Are you saying I need to make a sweep of my caches several times a week just to make sure the bug inventory is correct? News flash! Ain't going to happen. I will mark a bug missing as a convenience to my fellow cachers but it is not my responsibility to maintain the list.

Oh, so if someone reports your cache lid is missing, you'd go out and check before disabling the cache? Not likely. You'd probably disable it, then go out and check on it, probably bringing a new container with you.

Besides, this isn't about "OMG! The bug someone dropped here yesterday isn't in the cache" it's about "The last 15 logs say there are no travelbugs in the cache so why doesn't the owner mark them as missing?

Maybe one out of ten will mention a missing bug. If the cache has lots of stuff in it a coin or bug could easily be over looked. I've yet to have a string of logs complaining about a missing bug. I might get a log that a bug is missing and then the next 15 logs don't say anything about the bug. Maybe another log will come in that the bug is missing. But you know if it has not been missing for at least six months I probably won't mark it missing because some folks are really slow on their logging. Not my problem or responsibility. Bottom line is I simply am not responsible for the travelers that cycle through my cache. They are not my responsibility, therefore the list of travelers that may or may not be in my cache are not my responsibility. That list is generated and maintained by GS, not me, so it is not my responsibility to maintain the accuracy of the list.

Full logs, broken lids, missing caches, etc on my caches are my responsibility and will be dealt with accordingly.

... Bottom line is I simply am not responsible for the travelers that cycle through my cache. They are not my responsibility, therefore the list of travelers that may or may not be in my cache are not my responsibility. That list is generated and maintained by GS, not me, so it is not my responsibility to maintain the accuracy of the list.

Full logs, broken lids, missing caches, etc on my caches are my responsibility and will be dealt with accordingly.

100% agreement ! ! ! And the day GS even insinuates that any aspect of the TB game is a cache owners responsibility they better offer me the option to lock my caches so TB's can not be logged into them. Or I would archive everything.

However, in the case of overwhelming evidence supplied by other cachers (I won't bother to check on it) I would eventually mark a TB as missing.

I have occasionally had cachers comment if a certain traveler that was listed in the cache was missing but never a NM log. That does seem a bit overboard.

I suspect if it did happen I would either use the nefarious method of going into edit mode and removing it (a not very well guarded secret) or post a Owner Maintenance log with the statement like "TB location is not my problem" and that would take care of it. People using GSAK and looking at the colored squares would see that maintenance was done and go for it.

Travelers go missing much to often to get all worked up over it. Nothing that a little Booker's bourbon won't take care of.