Starting a local geocaching game

Poskusin

Hey guys,

I hope this is ok to post here, but since I'm new to geocaching I thought I would ask you fine folks.

I'd like to start a geocaching game here in my local city of about 80,000. I'm a software designer and was thinking about building software that would allow players to use it in their browser or as an app on their gps enabled smartphone. They could earn virtual trophies and be on ranked lists.

My questions are:

1) Is this an ok idea that you as a seasoned geocacher would find enjoyable?

2) How would I get local people interested and how could I advertise this?

I'm looking forward to your replies! Thanks everyone!

Be very careful that you aren't treading on Groundspeak's toes and that you aren't doing anything that contravenes terms of use of geocaching.com. Basically, I am saying beware of any copyright issues. I don't know enough to advise you further.

I'm not sure if I would be interested in such a game - but others may very well be.

Groundspeak already sells an app for the iPhone and Android applications - the GS website pretty much provides what any cacher needs to get started so I'm not sure why you want to reinvent the wheel. There are also a variety of virtual awards available, e.g. BadgeGen (developed by one of our local cachers) and there are world leader list available as well.

I'd suggest that instead of taking the route you are going, start a monthly geocaching club to see if there are folks who are interested. Post a note in the Region/State or Country forum you live in asking if such a group already exists or start a group via a social networking site.

Just my 2 cents worth.