Magellan eXplorist GC application error

I have removed geocaches.gpx and newlogs.txt and then the GC freezes in bootup. Placed them back, but still freeze.

I reloaded 1.6 firmware, but issue remains.

I have done the up+menu+power trick, get into the developer menu, but nothing there to fix.

Does anybody have an idea how to solve this? Device factory reset or whatever. I want to go caching today!

I HATE to say this, but your unit sounds bricked. Unbootable.

The exact same thing happened to me after trying to load a very large GPX file via Vantage Point.

The good thing is that Magellan customer service was very helpful. Give them a call. It falls under the warranty.

They walked me through the fixes you can try at home, basically what you already tried.

After that they told me they would replace the unit.

They gave me two options.

1. Mail mine back and they would ship me a new one when they got it.

2. Give them a credit card, they put a block for the price of a new one and ship it that day. Then you ship the broken one back and when they get it they release the hold. You have 30 days to return the old one before they charge you.

The warehouse was in Tennessee so I got my new unit in 2 days, brand spanking new, no scratches and dirt like my old one. New one had a warranty of 90 days or the date of the original waranty whichever is greater.

I was very pleased with the service.

i am absolutely livid. from my research, this problem occurs when you manually delete files from the gps using windows. I JUST BOUGHT THE dadgum THING YESTERDAY. I haven't even used it yet. I played around downloading some geocaches, until i finally figured out pocket queries. so I says to myself, "hey! now i have one file that contains all the geocaches around my house. i'll just go ahead and delete all the files from the geocaches folder, then add all the ones from the pocket query and presto. i'm all set.

NOPE

now i have 150 dollars less in my bank account and a goddamn useless paperweight. if i dont figure this out, and i have to wait even longer to start caching i'm gonna blow a gasket.