Is it time for me to get a new GPS?

I've just started geocaching again after about 5 or 6 years off. My GPS is about that old as well (It's a Garmin GPSmap 76S). I've only tried to find a couple caches so far but have been unsuccessful. These are marked as easy caches and notes indicate that they have been found recently, so it must be me :) When I'm out there, my GPS will tell me my destination is 10 feet in front of me but as soon as I arrive on that spot, the compass will spin and say it's 24 feet to the left and 13 feet behind me, etc...even as I'm walking it will tell me to completely turn around sometimes. It also constantly says "Hold Level" no matter how level I try and hold it. I've walked around one area for 20 minutes or more trying to find an "easy" cache (even with the clue decoded!). So, is it just time for me to get a new GPS? Are they better and more accurate now?

Thanks!

I think we have had every model in the 76 line starting with the 76S. We now have the 76CSX and the new 78s. You can buy a brand new 76CSX at Amazon and other places for around $250. I believe the 76csx is more accurate than the 78s. The 78s does have paperless geocaching but isn't any better than the 76csx when it comes to finding the cache. The 76csx is being discontinued because of the new 78s.

I am thinking about even getting another one for that price. I noticed my 76s would lose satellite reception in deep woods, while the 76csx has never lost it. Good luck

Edited by W7WT

You really don't need to get another GPS. When you get that close, you're at ground zero and it is time to put the GPS away and start looking around taking into account the error rate your EPE is. If you are showing 10 feet away, and your EPE (or accuracy on some models) shows 15 feet, then your radius will should extend to about 20-25 feet.

What you're lacking is the geo sense that comes with time and experience. Five years away from the sport means you have some brushing up to do.

Edited by TotemLake

Another thing that may help you at GZ is not using the compass screen. I never use it, as a matter of fact. Try watching your track in the map screen to get a general sense of how you are moving relative to the cache location.

Of course, as TotemLake pointed out, once you're that close, put that thing in your pocket.

I think we have had every model in the 76 line starting with the 76S. We now have the 76CSX and the new 78s. You can buy a brand new 76CSX at Amazon and other places for around $250. I believe the 76csx is more accurate than the 78s. The 78s does have paperless geocaching but isn't any better than the 76csx when it comes to finding the cache. The 76csx is being discontinued because of the new 78s.

I am thinking about even getting another one for that price. I noticed my 76s would lose satellite reception in deep woods, while the 76csx has never lost it. Good luck

The GPS store had the 76CSx for $219.00 a couple of months ago, They might still have them for that price.

The GPS store had the 76CSx for $219.00 a couple of months ago, They might still have them for that price.

They have it now at $219 but is temporary out of stock. Expecting it in April.

Edited by W7WT

They have it now at $219 but is temporary out of stock. Expecting it in April.

REI has the 60CSx for $219 so I ordered one for my wife thinking she might like the fit better than the 76CSx she is now using. After using my $40 dividend from buying the 78s. They are shipping it for $198.80. I like REI's return policy.

Easy caches, but what size? You might trip over an easy large/normal sized cache but would have to do some serious looking for a easy micro.

What type of terrain? GPS signals are reflected off building and cliffs.

What was the satellite configuration (circle of error size)? Few satellites and/or all off to one side can greatly increase the error size; as can heavy vegetation cover on the older units.

"Hold level" is a message I see when calibrating the compass. Have you calibrated the compass? Often?? I have my 76csx in the cup holder between the seats of a Jeep. It needs to be recalibrated every time I leave the Jeep. The turning of the drive shaft a few inches away probably creates a magnetic field which affects the GPSr's compass calibration.

'Proper technique' is to head for the cache and at perhaps 40/30 feet stop and make a mental note of the line and approx position of the cache's location. Then move off to the side 60 or 90 degrees and do the same. Perhaps do this a third time. Then go to the intersection and start looking for the cache.

The 'sport' is to use your intelect and observation skills to find the cache.

Yes a few times I have walked toward the cache, stoped at 1 foot, looked down and there was the cache. Also found a few 100 to over 200 feet from the supposed location. Remember, not only is there some 'error circle' when using your GPSr, there was also some in the GPSr when the cache was hide - and unlikely that they are offsetting.

Sure the new units are more sensitive and have software routines to try to compensate for reflected signals, vegetation, etc. however, the 'sport' is about seeking and finding not about using an electrical device to take you to within inches.

Some of the newer units offer paperless caching which could be worth it by itself if you intend to do a lot of caching. Even with the latest and best GPSr, the coordinates of a cache hidden 3,5,7 years ago will be off as much today as when the cache was hidden (unless someone has updated them).

Enjoy.