Special prizes for the FTF

I've only been FTF twice, neither of them had a special award and I didn't expect one. My first hide was published yesterday (April Fools Day), and for the first finder I left a small FTF certificate that I downloaded, printed, and laminated. It cost me nothing and may mean something to the FTF, and to commemorate April Fools day I also included for the FTF a fake winning lottery scratch off ticket.

Ha ha ha ha ha LOVE the idea of the fake winning lottery ticket!!! Even for SWAG. You mind if I steal that one?

This is really interesting. I have never raced for a FTF but I sometimes leave a geocaching pin or a few dollars for the FTF, I never knew that was wrong. I thought it was like a celebration. I will most likley never get a FTF myself because we only go on the weekends, my darn gps is a pain and it's not my goal. But a great topic, I guess I won't do it anymore. People don't know that I am doing it unless I post small FTF prize, I like to not tell them!

Thanks for the post!

I put out a set of 4 caches, but initially published only one of them. Inside were 3 envelopes, labeled "1st to Find", "2nd to find", and "3rd to find", for the first 3 finders. The "1st to find" had the coordinates for the other 3 caches, "2nd to find" had 2 of them, and "3rd to find" had just one. I figure the FTF hounds would love it, and it would drive a bit of traffic to the other caches. I waited a day after submitting the first cache to submit the other 3, figuring it would give the FTF-ers time to make their finds. They earned them - there was about 20 miles separating the 2 widest spread pair of this set.

I got my first TB as an FTF gift. But I'm just humored to get in ahead of our local FTF hounds.

One recent FTF we got there late and night, stumbled around and found it. Got the next publish log as we were walking back to the car but waited to get it until after work the next day. The next day we walked past the one from the night before and saw the usual crew hunting for it. So we snuck around and headed for the next unfound cache (about a quarter mile down the river) and beat them to it.

When we place our first cache this spring/summer we'll be putting in an unactivated coin for the FTF.

I have made some large micrcaches that are 5 inch plastic bugs, with a plastic test tube and write-in-rain log in them. They will be prizes for the FTF or whoever wants them, at any caches I publish that are big enough to fit them. Hopefully, they will hide them, and I will get to find them. I love the idea of leaving coords to an unpublished cache, though!