Ipad info transfer

I don't have an iPad (went with the XOOM which will allow me to do what you are asking although it doesn't do it directly and takes a few steps) but from what I have read Apple does not allow anything to be hooked up to it.

I don't think any tablet at this time will allow a direct hookup since they don't have a "Host Controller" built in which is what your desktop and laptop have that allows them to host and control a connected device.

iPad doesn't even have a USB port.

Some people say they have had success by getting a sd card adaptera and using some sort of program allowing them to transfer files.

The only driver needed would be the host controller that would see the device as a mass storage. They are not generally specific to each device you want to connect.

Apple has always maintained tight control over applications on all their machines which has good and bad points and has been much discussed in various forums.

The advantage the XOOM offers is the microSD slot which means you can put one in the device, move/copy the QPX files to it and then replace it in your Oregon. That feature hasn't been activated yet (in their hurry to get it out I guess) but will be with the next update (the same one that allows a 4G connection).

...The only driver needed would be the host controller that would see the device as a mass storage....

No, the driver isn't the problem. Things are never as simple as they seem.

The iPad actually DOES support USB mass storage -- and quite a few other things, like keyboards, USB audio, and MIDI -- through the Camera Connection Kit. See also: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4106.

The real problem is how the iPad file system is organized. I haven't yet found an app that can do BOTH of the things required here -

1: Get a file out of Mail or Safari (or some other app's) file space, and

2: Copy it out to through the dock/USB adapter.

Such an app might exist and I just haven't found it yet. And even if it doesn't exist (yet), I din't think that's due to any big technical problems -- but more a matter of marketability. Out of the entire iPhone/iPad using ecosystem, what subset would need to copy files from the iDevice to some "non-PC, non-Mac" often enough that they're willing to pay for an app to enable that feature on Apple's Camera Connection Kit or some ZoomIt or other third party USB dongle?

If I find one I think will work I'll let you know. I might ask the folks who make ZoomIt or FileApp about this...

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Currently Apple is not allowing developers to access the USB device connected through Camera Connection Kit.

It's possible, but it requires Jailbreak and some other funny stuff.

But in future this might come possible if the Apple releases the required api to the public use.

If it comes, I might be able to add support for this feature in my program..

Currently Apple is not allowing developers to access the USB device connected through Camera Connection Kit.

Really? I thought this was available in XCode. ZoomIt (which has its own dock- card-reader icongle) doesn't require a jailbreak -- what interfaces are they using?

What is your program? GeoBucket or something else?

...The only driver needed would be the host controller that would see the device as a mass storage....

No, the driver isn't the problem. Things are never as simple as they seem.

The iPad actually DOES support USB mass storage -- and quite a few other things, like keyboards, USB audio, and MIDI -- through the Camera Connection Kit. See also: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4106.

The real problem is how the iPad file system is organized. I haven't yet found an app that can do BOTH of the things required here -

1: Get a file out of Mail or Safari (or some other app's) file space, and

2: Copy it out to through the dock/USB adapter.

Such an app might exist and I just haven't found it yet. And even if it doesn't exist (yet), I din't think that's due to any big technical problems -- but more a matter of marketability. Out of the entire iPhone/iPad using ecosystem, what subset would need to copy files from the iDevice to some "non-PC, non-Mac" often enough that they're willing to pay for an app to enable that feature on Apple's Camera Connection Kit or some ZoomIt or other third party USB dongle?

If I find one I think will work I'll let you know. I might ask the folks who make ZoomIt or FileApp about this...

Then theoretically you could install iFile and the Safari download plugin to do it. The download plugin would d/l it into a folder and then you could use iFile to move it over. Don;t believe you can do this unless you have your ipad jailbroken. I still wonder about drivers though...I'll have to try it and see if plugging my Colorado into the camera usb connection shows up as mass storage or not.

Don't believe you can do this unless you have your ipad jailbroken.
Not an option I'm willing to pursue -- but let me know if you try it and it works :)

I'll have to try it and see if plugging my Colorado into the camera usb connection shows up as mass storage or not.

1) The iPad might complain about insufficent power on the port. If so, set the Colorado to NOT run off of USB power, and/or connect through a powered hub.

2) You may or may not have any software on your iPad that knows what to do with it, since the default action is to look for a camera card. Bet if you copied a camera card's DCIM folder over to your Colorado, with some pictures -- the iPad would open that right away.

Really? I thought this was available in XCode. ZoomIt (which has its own dock- card-reader icongle) doesn't require a jailbreak -- what interfaces are they using?

ZoomIt is using the MFI licence of apple. With MFI you can create your own dongle and do almost what ever you want. So if they are willing to help they might be able to add the support to the ZoomIt dongle.

Currently the Camera connection kit can be used only things what is included to iOS. eg. memory card reader, keyboard, headset access.

What is your program? GeoBucket or something else?

Yes Geo Bucket is my program.

Matti, thanks for the reply. I'm still not clear on this bit:

...Currently the Camera connection kit can be used only things what is included to iOS. eg. memory card reader, keyboard, headset access....[/quote

So what prevents GeoBucket (you) from writing to the file system on the card reader? iOS allows it, yes? This wouldn't be quite as convenient as being able to write directly to a GPS connected on the USB dongle, but it would still have some usefulness.