Stuggling on first find

stuarta

New to this and thought I would test on using my new Android mobile. I found a cache local to me and it said it was a multiple one. I managed to get to the first location which showed on the compass and Google maps.

Stage 1: The stated waypoint is a feature which has been put there to celebrate something. Look for the text that says: GWR abc, de SEPT fghi.

but got confused on

The co-ordinates for the second stage are:

N50° ed.hie, W003° 3a.e3i

not sure what it meant by ed.hie and 3a.e3i. Is this correct on how it should display or was it something corrupt with the text. Nothing else showed up and the on the map it kept pointing back to the original one. Never got as far as the 3rd with the cache.

Hope someone can help. Looked through various things but guessing I'm missing something obvious.

Many thanks

Stage 1: The stated waypoint is a feature which has been put there to celebrate something. Look for the text that says: GWR abc, de SEPT fghi.

but got confused on

The co-ordinates for the second stage are:

At the first waypoint, if the text said GWR 123, 45 SEPT 6789

then:

a=1

b=2

c=3

d=4

e=5

f=6

g=7

h=8

i=9

Plug those in (or whatever you find) into the formula to find out where to go.

I'm impressed that you'd start out Geocaching by picking a challenge :). It is likely a simple substitution cypher as mentioned, but there may be some curveballs, so try some more ideas, when you think of them. Most Cache Owners will offer a hint or the answer if you ask them (it's best to first contact them).

Here are some tips:

Look at the star rating for a cache. If both Difficulty and Terrain are less than 2, try that first. Pick a Traditional Cache (green icon), Small or larger size (save Micros for later). Check the description to see if it's something that seems likely to find. Look for an encrypted additional hint, there may be useful info there (for more of a challenge, bring it along encrypted and use it only if necessary). Read a couple of recent logs, so you know others are finding it. You may even look at the terrain view on the map, to see where the cache icon is in relation to walls, fences, and other landmarks.

Use Off-Road, Pedestrian Mode, and beware of map modes that stick to street routing (you need it to be able to direct you off mapped roads). When it says you're closer than 30 feet from the cache, it's time to look less at the GPSr, and look around for hiding spots. It should place you at the same spot you saw on the terrain view map (which is a good reason to check those maps in advance of the hunt, even if you don't print them).

When I started Geocaching, if the cache description was very specific, that's one I'd try I'd basically know exactly where I was going to look when I arrived. You might try a similar system at first.

Edited by kunarion