Hello, complete newbie!

Mahooli

Just thought I'd introduce myself!! I've been interested in geo-caching for about 4 years now but haven't, as of yet, done anything about it. I think I am now ready to take the plunge, have been getting advice on machines from another member so may well be shortly investing and will start my first hunt, there are several within a very short distance of me.

Thought it was something I could combine with walking my motley crew of poodles so I have something to do while they are ravaging the countryside and local wildlife ;) Hope to be able to report my first find soon.

Becky

Hi Becky, I've only known about it a few days nad took my 11 yr old son out today to find some...Only armed with an Andriod phone and a downloaded Groundspeak app lol, it worked for us a treat, took us within a 9ft radius and we found all for we looked for....It was great fun...have a go :)

Welcome to Geocaching, Mahooli!

Yes, children and dogs are great partners when geocaching. No-one will think twice when they see a family or a dog walker in the bushes. Our geohound, CharlieDog, has found a few, too! One he sat on. Opps. Let us know how you make out.

Edited by mwellman

Yes nothing but Fun Fun Fun getting out Geocaching when ever we can :lol:

My wife (4everScot) and I are on the Prowl when ever we are in a new area that we have the time to go look under rocks or in the bush :lol:

We are heading to the Big Island of Hawaii and can't wait to find some of the Caches around there. We have already mapped out a few to start with...Geeks or what!! But we Love it :)

We just found one today in 4 feet of snow...yes it's fun in the dead of winter too! :) It's -20Celcius today and we just have fun finding these things in the coldest to the warmest of weather.

Enjoy yourself out there and have fun, remember to invite others to find these Caches with you.

S&K

Welcome aboard!!

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

Welcome aboard!!

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

I forget if there is a term for it, but often I have noticed that others have been there before me. The grass will be broken down, sometimes leading me to the cache. I enjoy finding them on my own, but I still claim them, even if I had some inadvertent help from previous seekers. Sometimes it can't be helped.