app not saying the same thing as the site?

Penlowe

I apologize in advance if this is covered elsewhere, I tried the search function but kept putting in three letter words or confusing it in some way. :(

I'm using the Groundspeak freebie app basically just to let me know if I'm near any caches. I then look up the listed caches on the site via my way-too-expensive-unlimited-internet-stuff on my phone. I'm a noob and I really need to read logs before I even think of looking and that isn't an option on the freebie app version.

This afternoon the app said I was near: San Geronimo #2, San Geronimo #3 and San Geronimo #4. Okay, cool, go to the site. I put in "San Geronimo" for quick searching and got a list: San Geronimo, San Geronimo #1, San Geronimo #1.5, San Geronimo #5 and San Geronimo ZEE-ROW..... huh? What the app said was #4 on the site read the same and listed the same cords as #5. We did find #4(5?) which was totally cool, but couldn't even begin looking for the others as I couldn't match them up.

Soooo, anyone else run into this? has it/ does it happen elsewhere or is this a unique occurrence? Even if the caches were edited by the owner recently, I update my apps once a week just because some of them :cough Facebook cough: seem to change almost daily and do annoying things to my phone if I don't update frequently.

Is it weirdness or did I do something bad to my phone/ the website?

You have encountered a difference in spelling of cache names.

Searching for "San Geronimo" will not show San Gernimo Creek #4 because there is an "o" missing in San Gernimo Creek #4.

Try again searching for San Gernimo and you will see numbers 2, 3 and 4.

Hope this helps.

If I may offer a suggestion, spring for the $10 Geocaching app. It's way more robust than the freebie app and allows you to view the caches on a map, so you can just click on the one you want to go to next. Or alternately pick one off the list. Very much worth the price for ease of use and features.

/facepalm

well color me silly, and it's an easy enough thing to miss in a familiar word, which I'm sure it is for the placer too. I live near the San Geronimo creek, driving past those little green signs all the time makes it an 'whole recognized word' (in teacher talk). Thank you both!

Yes, I do want the better app, but gotta wait til payday...