Garmin 62s - do batteries charge via usb?

janandsteve

Just a quick post that someone will hopefully be able to clarify......

When I am route planning with Basecamp, I have to leave my GPS connected to my PC to display the Discoverer OS maps. From the main setup screen I have selected rechargeable NiMH battery type. Does this mean the GPS charges when connected via usb, or is this setting just for when the GPS is powered from an external power source, eg car?

Thanks. Steve

The battery type selection is for the battery meter. Different types of batteries discharge at different rates. It will not recharge the batteries when hooked up to USB.

Something strange happened today...... I connected 62s to PC via usb and for some reason, I removed it and connected it again as the 62s was 'booting'. The following screen came up ( wouldnt allow me to screen capture )....

External power lost

turning off in

30 <- this counts down to 0

Continue on bat power

turn off

stay on

Does this suggest that power is indeed coming from the usb, or is it some sort of glitch in the software? I have left my 62s conected to the pc for hours and the battery meter has never dropped?

The unit can and will be powered through the USB cable if it is connected.

The batteries will NOT be recharged while in the GPSr. This is a safety feature as the setting in the GPSr could be on rechargable with non-rechargables in the unit, thus possibly damaging the GPSr.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Steve