Field notes problem on Geocaching.com

rvls

Just finished the Route 66 series and now finished the posting. We used field notes to download the finds to Geocaching.com. The first thing we found was when you download a visits file that is over 100 finds it will drop some of the finds. I went through the visits file and they are there however when downloaded some are missing. Cleared the field notes and redid and different ones would be missing.

Then when composing logs using field notes all of a sudden duplicates would be showing up. I deleted the dups and checked that there were no more. Then after posting awhile there would be more. One cache I posted from field notes yesterday which should of deleted it from field notes. Well today as I was posting there it showed up in the notes. Not once but it was there twice.

I think there is something really wrong with the field notes part of Geocaching.com.

Don't think so as if I clear all the field notes off Geocaching.com and reload the visits file, entirely different caches will be dropped. Only way I found to get around the dropping problem is to split the visits file into enough separate files so none are over 100 finds long. Then when you load all the files nothing is dropped.

Don't think so as if I clear all the field notes off Geocaching.com and reload the visits file, entirely different caches will be dropped. Only way I found to get around the dropping problem is to split the visits file into enough separate files so none are over 100 finds long. Then when you load all the files nothing is dropped.

I've loaded over 100 finds in a single geocache_visits.txt file at least twice...perhaps three times...never noticed a problem myself (other than 2 logs in the same minute, which was in an upload of fewer than 100 finds...has happened two or three times).

So I don't think there is a specific issue with ALL files container 100 field notes...there's got to be more to it. Perhaps a character in one of your logs...or a blank line. Do you regularly remove the file and let your GPS create a new file...or are you just picking up where you left off the last time you went caching?

We have 2 Oregon 450T's downloading into different laptops. We both log the same caches and download to our own computer. After downloading we both delete the old visits file. As I remember we both have this problem only when we've found a large no. of caches. When we download the visits file each of us end up missing different caches. Posting 2 finds in under a minute is just something that we don't do, however I sure will look at the posting times the next time it happens.