Ipod Touch 4g and bluetooth gps

a4gom

Hi newby to all this and just wondering if any of the eqipment we already own would do or if we will need to get a hand held gps.

We have a TomTom One, this will obviously get us close on the road but as the maps are only roads I doubt we will get close enough of the beaten track.

I have a TomTom bluetooth Gps Reciever which I used with my old ipaq, the ipaq is defunk but the receiver still works.

My son has a Nokia 5530 I believe it may be possible to connect this to the above receiver, does anyone use this, can I download an app for the nokia?

Both my sons have 4th generagtion ipod touch's, is there a way to connect the receiver to these and a suitable app?

Any advice gratefully received

Edited by a4gom

It may be possible to use the ipod touch with the bluetooth gps.

I was in a similar situation where my PDA died so I had a blue-tooth gps but nothing to use it with.

From what I have read the touch has blue-tooth capabilities. However it may be similar to what my 2G iphone had, a blue-tooth stack with limited abilities. It could support a blue-tooth headset for example but not a blue-tooth gps.

I was able to get a replacement blue-tooth stack after jail-breaking the iphone that allowed a gps blue-tooth connection. At that point it worked with the various navigation apps quite well including the Groundspeak one for cache navigation.

That might be something to look into if you are willing to take the risk of jail-breaking the device.

The Bluetooth GPSr won't work with the phone or the iTouch. But it should be able to work with any PC. But trying to cache with a netbook is a bit odd.

The iTouchs will come in handy so you can go paperless. Just by the Geocaching app and your good to go. The TomTom should get you buy for a while but i think you'll have to manually input the waypoints. One of the biggest problems with an automotive GPSr is there battery life. In the end you'll want to get a Hand Held GPSr.

cheers guys, I don't want to jailbreak the touch's so looking at the phone at the mo, I've managed to connect it to the gps and can get nokia location to recognise it. there is a navigator built-in but the coords seem to be in a different format to those given on here. I need to enter in the following format.

0(degrees)00'00.00"N, 0(degrees)00'00.00"E (Can't get the degree symbol on here.)

I've tried entering some but the navigater tells me I'm 275km away from something I know is only 150m away.

I'll try it again in the morning.

I'm not after anything fancy at the mo, a basic direction / distance would do, we are only investigating the local area at the moment so I know the paths well.

cheers guys, I don't want to jailbreak the touch's so looking at the phone at the mo, I've managed to connect it to the gps and can get nokia location to recognise it. there is a navigator built-in but the coords seem to be in a different format to those given on here. I need to enter in the following format.

0(degrees)00'00.00"N, 0(degrees)00'00.00"E (Can't get the degree symbol on here.)

I've tried entering some but the navigater tells me I'm 275km away from something I know is only 150m away.

I'll try it again in the morning.

I'm not after anything fancy at the mo, a basic direction / distance would do, we are only investigating the local area at the moment so I know the paths well.

Got it sorted, silly me, had an E instead of a W

Off in the morning fingers crossed we find something and the kids enjoy it.

Well we had a good walk and the kids seem quite impressed by the whole thing so thats good. I stored the location of 4 caches in my sons phone, stuck the bluetooth receiver under my hat and off we went.

We reached the first location and I realised i'd left the info / clues at home :(, the first one was described as micro in size and we couldn't find it. Oh crumbs I thought looking at the disappointment on the kids faces this isn't going to turn out well. Off we went to the next one and after a bit of searching of both the ground and my memory for clue info we found it. :D smiles alround.

I think the kids are hooked which is great, hopefully we'll get them out more now.

I need to find a better solution for the gps though. (i'll start another topic for that)