first GPS after Iphone (newbie question)

ap5150

I'm fairly new to geocaching and have been using my iphone 3gs, which works fairly well in my urban environment.

The GPS accuracy leaves a bit to be desired, but I can usually sort it out by pulling up the google satellite map.

I'm ready to get a dedicated GPS for better accuracy (and I have been starting to hide caches with the help of my phone and then later, pegging the site on this site: http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html ), but have some questions:

1) what is a reasonably priced unit (under $200) with maps as clear as google?

2) (total newbie question) - I like the iphone because if I'm in a new spot unexpectedly, I can ask the phone "are there any caches around here?" and off I go. Can I do that with the GPS, or do I have to preload them with my computer before I go?

3) Finally, any recommended units that play well with a mac?

thanks!

1. Not gonna happen. You're going to have to spend more than $200 to get satellite images. That said, you don't need them, no matter how much you think you do. People did just fine with vector maps for years before smartphones with Google imagery, and they got by fine with paper maps and their GPS before that. Regardless, you'll have to load everything onto the GPS before you go. Most receivers can hold most of the country no problem anymore, and the ones that support satellite imagery can handle a pretty good-sized area so you won't have to do it EVERY time you go caching...just whenever you visit a new area.

2. You have to load caches onto your GPS first, but once you do that, you can still do that. With a premium membership and pocket queries, you can load thousands of caches onto your GPS (depends on GPS model) so again, you can cover a large area. A little planning knowing where you're going so you can run a pocket query for that area will help.

3. I don't use a mac, so I can't comment much, except that I do know that some do.

4. It doesn't have to be an either/or (GPS OR smartphone) process. You could use the phone to search for caches while you're out, then plug the coordinates into the GPS for the one you want to find (for better accuracy). I have an ipod touch and I will do that. I use the gc.com app to search for caches in a new area and then I put the coords into my GPS. My searching is tethered to areas with available wifi, but the ipod can get a rough location for me based on the location of the wifi network I'm on, so it can still do a quick search for what's nearby and show me cache pages and whatnot.