downloading descriptions on Garmin eTrex Vista H

gifthorse

Hi! I'm new to geocaching, but have found a few caches already. Yesterday I signed up for a premium membership to help download the caches in my GPS. After much stress (I'm also computer illiterate), I think I finally got my pocket queries loaded into my GPS. As when I manually downloaded them previously, I can get the basic info (name, GC number, coordinates, etc), but I can't find any of the descriptons or hints that I really wanted to avoid writing it all out. I am using a Garmin eTrex Vista H. I have seen the discussion of the steps for the Garmin Nuvi. Would they work for my Garmin? It took me a lot longer to find a cache today than it should have because, although I had the coordinates, the hint (which I didn't have until later got on my computer) would have made the find much quicker.

Hi! I'm new to geocaching, but have found a few caches already. Yesterday I signed up for a premium membership to help download the caches in my GPS. After much stress (I'm also computer illiterate), I think I finally got my pocket queries loaded into my GPS. As when I manually downloaded them previously, I can get the basic info (name, GC number, coordinates, etc), but I can't find any of the descriptons or hints that I really wanted to avoid writing it all out. I am using a Garmin eTrex Vista H. I have seen the discussion of the steps for the Garmin Nuvi. Would they work for my Garmin? It took me a lot longer to find a cache today than it should have because, although I had the coordinates, the hint (which I didn't have until later got on my computer) would have made the find much quicker.

The etrex is not a paperless unit. The translation of that sentence is you can't load that info on an etrex. The printer is your friend.

Well you could go into each waypoint one by one and change the note in it to add the information you want. But your limited to only 20 to 40 characters. I think my eTrex Legend H is limited to 22 or 24 characters.

I sat down one night with my GPS and Garmin Bootcamp. Transferred all the waypoints to the PC, edited each note to add Difficulty, Terrain, and cache size. In many cases i had to shorten the cache name to get it all in. It was a huge waste of time but a learning experience. I go paperless using my iPod Touch and the Geocaching app.

You can add the hint into the comment field but if it goes over 24 characters it will get cut off.

The easiest way is to do this is using EasyGPS (free) and changing the set-up on it under edit/preferences/geocaching and change the comment box to "geocache hint decrypted".

You could also use GSAK (free with nag screen or $25) and a Special Tag %hint in the comment box but again you run into the 24 character limit.

Now if you had the vista HCX model you could add the hints as POI`s and the limit would be 80 characters.

Hey, thanks everybody! I guess it would have been best if I checked with the geocaching community before I bought my gps. I had no idea at the time about downloading any information. My main objective was to find something better than my husband's auto gps, which was lousy. Two more questions from these posts have come up.

First, I got the free app for my iTouch, but it seems to be worthless because I don't have built-in Wi-Fi. I tried downloading the data while under a Wi-Fi signal (it worked great), but as soon as I went out on the field, a box saying it couldn't connect covered the data I needed to look at. Neither my son (the typical techno teen) or I (the techno idiot) could figure out how to get rid of the box so that I could view what was behind it. Any ideas or do I, once again, have the wrong system?

Second, IBCrashen, I took your suggestion and changed the comment field. I'm so glad you gave me step by step on this. Amazingly, I put in the changes with no problems. I would have never known these options existed. I was even delighted to find that I could change the waypoint to show the name, rather than just the number. Prior to this, I was constantly scrolling through gc numbers which really didn't mean anything to me without clicking on each to see the name. My question is, if I, with these new changes in place, rerun the query, will I get duplicates of everything I put in or will it just make the changes and leave a single of each cache in my gps? I will quickly get confused if I have two of everything (one with the cache name and hints and the other with the gc number and no hints.

I appreciate all of your timely replies. It is better to know that my gps is not capable of a function than to spend the time I could be out having fun geocaching, racking my brain to try to figure out an impossibility!

Gifthorse

I know this should be basic, but is there a way to delete the whole group of waypoints from my gps instead of just one at a time? Maybe a "delete all" choice? If so, is it on the Easy GPS site that I would find this because I haven't found a way to delete all from my gps itself. Doing one at a time is rather tedious. Also, each time I get an email with a waypoint link I should delete the previous ones? Should I change my set up to get new waypoints weekly, rather than daily?

I love the geocaching itself, but hate this technical stuff. If it wasn't for the advantage of the compass pointing the way to the saved coordinates, I'd probably just stay with paper and pencil.

Also, if I figure this out for the waypoints near my house, I'd like to also have a different set for other places not near my house that I frequent regularly. Is there a way to differentiate?

There should be a "delete all" option on the gps. Sorry I dont have my girlfriends vista so dont know for sure but there should be an option when you are on waypoint page. Try to find a menu option on that page.

Edit to add that that should be on the waypoint list page, not individual ones.

Edited by IBcrashen

Thanks. I'll look again. Last night I manually deleted all the waypoints. I didn't think it would be that hard until I realized it was going on and on. I definitely can't do that again. Again, I appreciate your help.

I have an Etrex Legend HCx and can delete all geocaches by:

Find, geocaches then press the lower button on the left of the unit. Select Delete from the menu, then Geocaches symbol. The prompt ~ Do you really want to delete all waypoints with the Geocache symbol? select the Yes option and job done.

Regards

Dai

You can add the hint into the comment field but if it goes over 24 characters it will get cut off.

The easiest way is to do this is using EasyGPS (free) and changing the set-up on it under edit/preferences/geocaching and change the comment box to "geocache hint decrypted".

You could also use GSAK (free with nag screen or $25) and a Special Tag %hint in the comment box but again you run into the 24 character limit.

Now if you had the vista HCX model you could add the hints as POI`s and the limit would be 80 characters.

Cheers for that hint about using the comment box. Just what I wanted. Not sure how to add hints as POI's but then I have a Legend HCx.

Regards

Dai